If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
jms

Chances of Admission (Full-time v. part-time)

by jms Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:16 am

Hi,

I finished the 9 week intensive course 3 weeks ago, and took the GMAT on Saturday. I got a 680. (58% Q, 95% V). I went to Boston College 2003, degree in English, 3,3 and for the past 2 years have had a very interesting position as an associate for a major real estate developer in NYC. I would like to continue in some aspect of real estate development, although I need to move on from this small firm because there is little opportunity for growth.

My question is, what are the chances of me getting into the full time program at either NYU or Columbia? If the chances are low I will apply to the less competitive (but still very good) part-time program at NYU. Will it help that I have somewhat of a unique background?

Thanks,
J
MBA Mission

Re: Chances of Admission (Full-time v. part-time)

by MBA Mission Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:23 am

Thank you for your inquiry.

I would need to know more about your profile before I could assess your competitiveness. Your candidacy is a function not only of your work experience, grades and GMAT, but of your community-involvement, extra-curricular experiences, leadership and the intangibles in your personal story. Further, what in particular was so unique about your real estate position?

With more information in hand, I would be in a better position to advise.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Shinewald
MBA Mission

http://www.mbamission.com
646-485-8844

jms Wrote:Hi,

I finished the 9 week intensive course 3 weeks ago, and took the GMAT on Saturday. I got a 680. (58% Q, 95% V). I went to Boston College 2003, degree in English, 3,3 and for the past 2 years have had a very interesting position as an associate for a major real estate developer in NYC. I would like to continue in some aspect of real estate development, although I need to move on from this small firm because there is little opportunity for growth.

My question is, what are the chances of me getting into the full time program at either NYU or Columbia? If the chances are low I will apply to the less competitive (but still very good) part-time program at NYU. Will it help that I have somewhat of a unique background?

Thanks,
J
So Worried...

reply to question about admission chance (Full time Vs Part)

by So Worried... Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:31 pm

My question is if you graduated in 2003 and recently doing real estate for the past 2 years? What happened to the other 2 years in between?

I am assuming that the other 2 years you have some decent experience as well, when i am writing this reply.

Boston College 3.3 GPA is ok, but not great. I feel that you have 4 years of solid working expereince. Decent GMAT 680. Now you have to write a great Essay to back you up.

I feel that you have a shot at both full or part time, but part time is easier to get in. If you plan to stay in real estate, do part time espcially if you employer will pay for some/or all of it. If you wanna switch career go full time.

There's my honest opinion. Good luck!

PS: In return, could people who are reading this (especially MBA Consultants) reply to my post on July 20th - titled "Help! Please evaluate!" I will do the same to help each other out. Thanks!

So Worried....