If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
MatthewK129
Students

Changing Jobs before B-school

by MatthewK129 Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:54 pm

Hey all,

Profile:

GMAT: 700
Undergrad GPA: 3.5 in Mechanical Engineering
Work Experience: 2 years at large well known technology company, currently on corporate entrepreneurial venture/plant startup

I've worked for a large international tech company for 2 years and am currently being groomed to become the operations manager for a new manufacturing plant I'm tasked with setting up. Dream come true for an engineer! Realizing there are business skills I need to develop, I'm planning on starting my MBA Fall 2017 and compete it online (targeting Indiana-Kelley Direct & possibly get a dual degree).

Unfortunately my fiance just notified me that she wants to move back closer to family in June, when she completes her Master's in Health Administration, thus potentially forcing me to leave my job a couple months before I was planning on starting B-school. Should I still start my MBA anyway or wait a year? If I was to continue pursuing an online MBA, should I list it on my resume as "enrolled Fall 2017" when applying to jobs in the new city? I'm not sure if it would come across as a positive (ambitious in continuing education) or a negative (Employer could think I will expect to change jobs upon graduation).

Any and all insight/advice very appreciated!
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Changing Jobs before B-school

by mbaMissionKate Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:48 pm

Hi there!

Tough choice I'm sure to pass up a dream job! I think I would go ahead and start the program. It's going to help you build skills and connections, and I don't see a strong reason to wait. You don't need to be employed to be in the program, right? I guess that would be the only risk.

As far as what to put on your resume, if you haven't started the program yet, then technically you don't need to mention it when you apply to jobs. Plus it would be something you do in your own time anyway. But, I could actually see it being a positive that shows you are seeking more challenge and interested in building your skills. Plus, it may open up more opportunities that are on a management track. I wouldn't worry too much about the risk of you leaving when you finish, employers understand there's always a risk when they hire people (especially young people) that they may move on in a few years. Perhaps don't list on the resume but disclose it during an interview? That way it won't keep you from getting in the door but allows you to explain it as a strength.

Hope this helps!
Kate
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php