Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
yo4561
Course Students

comma -ing modifiers...is it modifying everything?

by yo4561 Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:18 pm

Hello my MP friends,

For comma -ing modifiers placed after many modifiers, will the comma -ing modifier normally just modify what is right before it, or will it apply to everything before it?

Let's say I have this made up example:
Despite the hotel's fresh breakfast and warm bed, the guest, who had a red hat, was dissatisfied, complaining to the front desk. "Complaining to the front desk" seems to modify everything before it and not just "was dissatisfied".

This may depend on meaning, but are there cases where a comma -ing modifier is modifying just another modifier in the sentence and not actually everything that comes before it?

Many thanks in advance :)
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: comma -ing modifiers...is it modifying everything?

by esledge Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:47 pm

First, please accept our apologies for the late response. A tech glitch has hidden this folder from all logged-in Manhattan Prep staff since the New Year, so I didn’t see this question until now.

Comma -ing modifiers are adverbial modifiers that describe the whole clause before them. In your example, I've cut out the noun modifiers:

................ the guest ................ was dissatisfied, complaining to the front desk.

So yes, "complaining" is the result of "was dissatisfied," but "the guest" is the one doing/feeling both, so for meaning's sake, you should think of the subject, too.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT