Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
AJJ837
Course Students

Comma vs Semi Colon

by AJJ837 Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:18 pm

According the SC Strategy Guide, the dash in the sentence below could have been a comma instead, and the sentence would still be correct. My understanding is that you can only use commas when dealing with 2 independent clauses if the clauses are joined by one of the FANBOYS. In the sentence below they are joined by "although", which is not a FANBOY, so I am wondering why a comma can be used here? I thought a semi-colon would have been more appropriate but seems I am wrong. Thanks a lot

By January 2, 2000, the so-called "Y2K problem" was already widely considered a joke -- although the reason for the non-event was the prior corporate and governmental investment in countermeasures.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: Comma vs Semi Colon

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:53 am

There are other words apart from FANBOYS that can join together two independent clauses. These include if, because, when, until, although, etc. You can test this by making up some simple sentences.