Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
yo4561
Course Students

Comma where?

by yo4561 Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:43 pm

Why would you need a comma before where?
E.g. let's say I have this made up example.

Hannah thought that the bakery was a delicious place, where she could eat all types of pastries and learn how to bake through lessons.

vs.

Hannah thought that the bakery was a delicious place where she could eat all types of pastries and learn how to bake through lessons.

I've seen examples on official problems where sometimes there is a comma or no comma before the where. Is there a rule around this? I realize there are bigger issues than looking at commas, but I am a bit thrown off by this. Many thanks and Happy Sunday :)
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: Comma where?

by esledge Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:19 am

Hi yo, sorry for the late reply on this one. The rule for this is similar to the rule for whether to use a comma with "who" or "whom": Is the modifier essential (no comma) or inessential (comma)?

In your examples, I could see an argument in favor of either interpretation.

If Hannah's entire thought is that the bakery is a delicious place, and the rest is just further inessential info about the place, then use the comma:
yo4561 Wrote:Hannah thought that the bakery was a delicious place, where she could eat all types of pastries and learn how to bake through lessons.
If the fact that she can eat pastries and learn how to bake at the bakery is Hannah's overall thought or the "where" gives the reason that Hannah thinks the place is delicious, then don't use the comma:
yo4561 Wrote:Hannah thought that the bakery was a delicious place where she could eat all types of pastries and learn how to bake through lessons.
For example, I would not use a comma before the "where" in the example below, because the main contrast in the sentence is against that "where" modifier:

Hannah thought that the bakery was a delicious place where she could eat all types of pastries and learn how to bake through lessons, but during the pandemic, baking lessons were cancelled and the bakery only offered croissants and donuts.

As you can see, the answer is very much "it depends on meaning," so something like this can be too close to call. This is probably why the GMAT generally doesn't test comma vs. no comma.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT