Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
tinnashen
Students

"common notation" Reading Comprehension

by tinnashen Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:17 am

Hi,

In "Mahattan reading comprehension strategy guide, Chapter 3 page48" , Manhattan introduce some common notations; but in Page50 and many other places, I found some new notations I don't undertand very well. Ex: page50 in model headline list for Insect behavoir 1) --Ex: here -- presents what kind of logical relationship?

Can manhattan explains more systematically all the common notation used in this book or applicable for gmat reading comprehension?

thanks a lot

Tinna
dmitryknowsbest
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: "common notation" Reading Comprehension

by dmitryknowsbest Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:02 am

Ex is short for example (as is e.g.).

It would be difficult to provide an accounting of all the relevant abbrevations, but outside of the Reading Comprehension guide, it's more important that you use abbreviations that are useful to you. They don't have to make sense to anyone else. If you would like a list of standard English abbreviations, you should be able to find one in a dictionary.

As for the specific abbreviations used in the guide, most of them are simply shortened versions of text from the relevant passages. I noticed that the abbreviation "w/o" is frequently used for "without," and we sometimes use mathematical symbols such as > and = to indicate relationships.

I hope this helps. If there are additional abbrevations used in our book that you have trouble deciphering, definitely let us know.
Dmitry Farber
Manhattan GMAT Instructor