Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
saurabhkhatri
Students

Comparisions Query

by saurabhkhatri Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:08 am

Independent contractors pay higher taxes, are paid less consistently than statutory employees, and, unlike statutory employees, they may freely perform the same type of work for multiple businesses.
a) taxes, are paid less consistently than statutory employees, and, unlike statutory employees, they may freely
b) taxes and are paid less consistently than statutory employees; unlike statutory employees, though, independent contractors are free to
c) taxes and paid less consistently than are statutory employees, but they, unlike statutory employees, are freely allowed to
d) taxes and are paid less consistently than are statutory employees; in addition, unlike statutory employees, independent contractors can freely
e) taxes and paid less consistently than are statutory employees; moreover, unlike statutory employees, they are allowed to

To make a right comparision, I think it should be are paid less consistently than are statutory employees...

Manhattan Practice Test Q

Can anyone guide...
tim
Course Students

Re: Comparisions Query

by tim Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:45 am

remember not to eliminate answer choices just because you prefer to see a different version. unless you can find an actual grammar error with an answer choice, don't get rid of it. your version of the sentence is fine, but so is the correct answer here..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
Willy
Course Students

by Willy Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:52 pm

saurabhkhatri Wrote:Independent contractors pay higher taxes, are paid less consistently than statutory employees, and, unlike statutory employees, they may freely perform the same type of work for multiple businesses.
a) taxes, are paid less consistently than statutory employees, and, unlike statutory employees, they may freely
b) taxes and are paid less consistently than statutory employees; unlike statutory employees, though, independent contractors are free to
c) taxes and paid less consistently than are statutory employees, but they, unlike statutory employees, are freely allowed to
d) taxes and are paid less consistently than are statutory employees; in addition, unlike statutory employees, independent contractors can freely
e) taxes and paid less consistently than are statutory employees; moreover, unlike statutory employees, they are allowed to

To make a right comparision, I think it should be are paid less consistently than are statutory employees...

Manhattan Practice Test Q

Can anyone guide...

IMO answer should be B, as it only makes comparison clear.

i.e. Independent contractors are paid less consistently than statutory employees ARE PAID (understood)

choice B -

taxes and are paid less consistently than statutory employees ARE PAID; unlike statutory employees, though, independent contractors are free to (ARE PAID in the sentence is understood and we need not to repeat it)

rest of the options create illogical comparison and are also not parallel.
I Can. I Will.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:24 am

saurabhkhatri Wrote:To make a right comparision, I think it should be are paid less consistently than are statutory employees...

you would only need the extra "are" if the original were ambiguous.

this sentence isn't ambiguous -- there's only one thing it can possibly mean -- so you don't need the "are".
inserting it wouldn't make the sentence incorrect, but it's not necessary.
dhingra_gaurav007
Forum Guests

by dhingra_gaurav007 Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:00 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
saurabhkhatri Wrote:To make a right comparision, I think it should be are paid less consistently than are statutory employees...

you would only need the extra "are" if the original were ambiguous.

this sentence isn't ambiguous -- there's only one thing it can possibly mean -- so you don't need the "are".
inserting it wouldn't make the sentence incorrect, but it's not necessary.

Hi Ron,
But isn't the above scenario applicable for all the cases than.
Normally we use than/those or verb forms (are,is) to make the comparision logically parallel.

For ex: Mr X painting,features relationships that are more subtle than (are/those) in most other seventeen century paintings.

Now in this case do we need a those..as its understood that we are referring to relationships not the paintings!!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:48 am

dhingra_gaurav007 Wrote:Hi Ron,
Normally we use than/those or verb forms (are,is) to make the comparision logically parallel.

For ex: Mr X painting,features relationships that are more subtle than (are/those) in most other seventeen century paintings.

Now in this case do we need a those..as its understood that we are referring to relationships not the paintings!!

no, this is totally different.
in the comparison above, the two elements that are actually being compared -- namely, statutory employees and independent contractors -- are still present in the version with "are" omitted. so, there's no logic problem.

if you omit "those" in the sentence quoted here, then you've got a serious issue -- you're actually omitting one of the things you're trying to compare!
this sentence is meant to compare relationships in one work to relationships in other works. therefore, it's imperative to keep "those"; else you wind up with an illogical comparison between "relationships" and "other paintings".
rakesh.id
Students

by rakesh.id Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:26 am

What's the correct answer? I pick C.
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:53 am

the answer is B
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
vivs.gupta
Forum Guests

by vivs.gupta Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:05 am

RonPurewal Wrote:

in the comparison above, the two elements that are actually being compared -- namely, statutory employees and independent contractors -- are still present in the version with "are" omitted. so, there's no logic problem.

if you omit "those" in the sentence quoted here, then you've got a serious issue -- you're actually omitting one of the things you're trying to compare!
this sentence is meant to compare relationships in one work to relationships in other works. therefore, it's imperative to keep "those"; else you wind up with an illogical comparison between "relationships" and "other paintings".

How about the following construction?

Features relationships in Mr X paintings are more subtle than in most other seventeen century paintings.
Willy
Course Students

by Willy Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:24 am

vivs.gupta Wrote:
RonPurewal Wrote:

How about the following construction?

Features relationships in Mr X paintings are more subtle than in most other seventeen century paintings.

Sentence looks correct. (if 'Features relationships' is good construction and you meant Mr. X's paintings NOT Mr. X painting. UNLESS Mr. X paintings are really paintings!)

So, sentence is actually saying -

Features relationships in Mr X's paintings are more subtle than [Features relationships - understood here] in most other seventeen century paintings.
I Can. I Will.
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:25 am

for what it's worth, the GMAT would probably include a noun or pronoun between "than" and the preposition following it..
Tim Sanders

Willy
Course Students

by Willy Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:01 pm

tim Wrote:for what it's worth, the GMAT would probably include a noun or pronoun between "than" and the preposition following it..

Thank you sir. It was great to know and it was helpful.
Last edited by Willy on Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Can. I Will.
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:33 am

glad to hear it!
Tim Sanders

batchen.eden
Students

by batchen.eden Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:19 pm

hi,

i have a question about the "unlike" and "though" in answer b. don't they both contrast the first statement ? isn't using both of them redundant? that's why i ruled it out :(

thanks
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:36 pm

batchen.eden Wrote:hi,

i have a question about the "unlike" and "though" in answer b. don't they both contrast the first statement ? isn't using both of them redundant? that's why i ruled it out :(

thanks

Do unlike and though mean the same thing? Nope. Unlike means two things are different and though is a word used to express how two ideas are different. So it's not redundant. Notice a more common structure for this sort of idiom:

Like cats, dogs are pets; Unlike cats though, dogs require constant attention.

"though" is used to emphasize the distinction between these two thoughts. Similarly, the sentence above tells us one way that independent contractors are worse off than statutory employees, but then gives us a different way in which they are better off.
Joe Lucero