Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
JustinC279
Course Students

Comparisons Interact - usage of 'Being"

by JustinC279 Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:48 am

I have a confusion about why the usage of 'being' does not fall in parallel comparison with the verb 'are' in choice D of the Comparisons Interact question.

Authoritative parents are more likely than permissive parents to have children who as adolescents are self-confident, high in self esteem, and responsibly independent.

A.Authoritative parents are more likely than permissive parents to have children who as adolescents are self-confident, high in self-esteem, and responsibly independent.
B.Authoritative parents who are more likely than permissive parents to have adolescent children that are self-confident, high in self-esteem, and responsibly independent.
C.Children of authoritative parents, rather than permissive parents, are the more likely to be self-confident, have a high self-esteem, and to be responsibly independent as adolescents.
D.Children whose parents are authoritative rather than being permissive, are more likely to have self-confidence, a high self-esteem, and be responsibly independent when they are an adolescent.
E.Rather than permissive parents, the children of authoritative parents are the more likely to have self-confidence, a high self-esteem, and to be responsibly independent as an adolescent

What is wrong with using 'X rather than Y' comparison structure with
X = 'are authoritative'
Y = 'being permissive'

Aren't 'are' and 'being' verbs attached to adjectives?

Thanks!
Justin
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: Comparisons Interact - usage of 'Being"

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:37 pm

You're right that these elements are both verbs. However, the tense is different and that makes for an illogical meaning here. If you write 'Steve is friendly' (that's present simple), then it means that he generally behaves in a friendly way. However, if you write 'Steve is being friendly' (that's present continuous), then it means that he is just being friendly at the moment, perhaps temporarily. It's the same difference of meaning between 'I play soccer' and 'I am playing soccer'. For that reason, comparison in answer (D) isn't logical.