Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
alexia.sadun
Course Students

Comparisons Strategy (SC Chapter 8)

by alexia.sadun Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:13 pm

Juggling is a favorite pastime for me, like for you.

Is it correct to say: Juggling is a favorite pastime for me, like it is for you. (In this case like can be used since juggling is a gerund, is this correct?)

Thanks!
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: Comparisons Strategy (SC Chapter 8)

by esledge Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:02 pm

Nope. It doesn't matter that "juggling" is a gerund (i.e. a noun). You can't use "like" since you still have a verb in each part of the comparison!

Wrong: Juggling IS a favorite pastime for me, LIKE it IS for you.
Right: Juggling IS a favorite pastime for me, AS it IS for you.
Right: You, LIKE me, enjoy juggling as a favorite pastime. (note: only one verb here--enjoy--shared by both subjects)
Right: Juggling, LIKE tight-rope walking, is a favorite pastime for me. (note: only one verb here--is--shared by both gerund subjects)
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
SushantG648
Students

by SushantG648 Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:40 am

Can we use "Juggling is a favorite pastime for me, as for you."
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:15 pm

Can we use "Juggling is a favorite pastime for me, as for you."

When you use "as," you must be comparing actions, so a verb in a tense is required before and after the "as." The latter is missing in your example.

Here is a correction: Juggling is a favorite pastime for me, as it is/was/will be for you.

(Off-topic, but worth a mention: notice that the tenses don't have to be the same; all that "as" requires is comparison of clauses, each with a verb. If I juggle now, but you are just learning or have already retired from juggling, we need different tenses, and that's ok.)
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT