Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
daksh2684
Students

Confusion in CR Question

by daksh2684 Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:25 pm

Hi All Need help in the following CR question

The fact that many large women's right organizations consist almost entirely of white middle class women has led many black feminist critics to question the seriousness of those organizations in speaking out on behalf of the needs of all women in general.

Which of the following generalizations,if true, would support the critiscism implied in the statement?

A) The ideology of an organization tends to supersede the particular desires of its members
B) The needs of black women are substantially similar to the needs of the white women
C) Organizations are more capable of resolving that individuals cannot
D) White middle class women are more likely to join feminist groups than black women are
E) People tend to join organizations which serve their own interests

I am confused between B and E
The correct answer is E but i think it should be B
deeparrao
Students

Re: Confusion in CR Question

by deeparrao Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:31 am

daksh2684 Wrote:
Hi All Need help in the following CR question

The fact that many large women's right organizations consist almost entirely of white middle class women has led many black feminist critics to question the seriousness of those organizations in speaking out on behalf of the needs of all women in general.

Which of the following generalizations,if true, would support the critiscism implied in the statement?

A) The ideology of an organization tends to supersede the particular desires of its members
B) The needs of black women are substantially similar to the needs of the white women
C) Organizations are more capable of resolving that individuals cannot
D) White middle class women are more likely to join feminist groups than black women are
E) People tend to join organizations which serve their own interests

I am confused between B and E
The correct answer is E but i think it should be B

Option B: is not supporting the implied claim but,weakening it (consist almost entirely of white middle class women has led many black feminist critics to question the seriousness of those organizations)The black feminists doubt whether the women's right organizations consisting mostly of white women can speak out on behalf of the needs of all women( Black or White)in general. Option B here is stating that the needs of white women are similar to 'all' women, therefore, the organizations consisting mostly of white women are fairly representing the needs of general women .but we need to support the claim of black feminists that these organizations are not rightly expressing "all" women needs in general.
daksh2684
Students

by daksh2684 Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:03 am

Hi
Thanks a lot
But how would E fit in as a perfect answer.
BY elimination i could have reached this but still am looking for clear and concise understanding.

Thanks in advance
Regards
deeparrao
Students

by deeparrao Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:53 am

daksh2684 Wrote:But how would E fit in as a perfect answer.
Thanks in advance
Regards

this question in my view can be answered by process of elimination as there are no other answer choices which more closely supports the claim

option E : People tend to join organizations which serve their own interests

This statement directly supports the claim made by black feminists by stating that people in general join organisations of their choice( for ex:white woman joins a women's organization ,which is fighting for equal voting power for women, fighting for voting power may be of an interest to this white woman. so,she joins the organization where her interest lies.Similarly this might not be of an interest to black woman,who is fighting for equal right in property (this right may already exist as a law in white's community).If the majority of the women's organization is fighting for equal voting power as it is of interest to most of the white women,then black women will lack support as their interest is not backed by most of the woman.)In this question,as there are more white women in women's organizations than black women.This statement is supporting the claim made by critics of black feminist that these women's organizations do not fairly hold needs of women in general..

Hope this helps..
vscidd
Students

by vscidd Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Is this really a GMATPrep ques?
daksh2684
Students

by daksh2684 Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:09 am

Hi
Do you find it too easy to be a part of GMAT Prep :):)
Any ways this is from Manhattan Practice questions.
I find myself very weak in CR questions so trying to work out on a ladder from simple to tougher ones

Thanks a lot for your help
Regards
tim
Course Students

by tim Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:34 pm

i'm not convinced this is from our CAT exams, so i think the post is in the wrong place. Nevertheless, good job explaining this one so i don't have to, deeparrao.. :)
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html