Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
gtrobinson7
Students

Correct Usage of Such As

by gtrobinson7 Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:47 pm

I don't quite understand how to use "such as" correctly. These examples come from Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction strategy guide Chapter 9. They're on page 174.

Why are these sentences correct?
"Matt enjoys driving fast cars, SUCH AS Ferraris."
"Matt enjoys driving SUCH cars AS Ferraris."

And this one not?
"Matt drives Ferraris AND OTHER cars SUCH AS THESE."

Is it because you just shouldn't say "such as these"? Or maybe that the meaning is different, in that the first sentence doesn't specify that Matt actually drives Ferraris and the second one does? Please specify what's wrong and how it would be fixed.

Also, I don't know if it's kosher but I don't quite understand the other use of "such as" either but since its the same idiom and I think the same or similar principle I'll post it here as well.

Why is this sentence correct?
"Matt enjoys intense activities, SUCH AS DRIVING fast cars."

And these not?
"Matt trains in many ways SUCH AS BY DRIVING on racetracks."
"Matt enjoys intense activities, SUCH AS TO DRIVE fast cars."

I think that the reason is that "such as" has to be followed by gerund, and maybe even more specifically simple gerund phrases, but I'm not sure. If that is true would these sentences be correct?

"Matt trains in many ways SUCH AS DRIVING on racetracks."

Thanks!
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Correct Usage of Such As

by RonPurewal Sun May 04, 2014 1:41 pm

gtrobinson7 Wrote:And this one not?
"Matt drives Ferraris AND OTHER cars SUCH AS THESE."

Is it because you just shouldn't say "such as these"? Or maybe that the meaning is different, in that the first sentence doesn't specify that Matt actually drives Ferraris and the second one does? Please specify what's wrong and how it would be fixed.

Well, I don't know what the original explanation says"”I don't currently have access to the book"”but that construction ("X and others such as X") is fundamentally redundant.

The whole point of "such things as X" or "things such as X" is to include X and similar things.

E.g., if "I like such unadorned staple foods as plain white rice" then it is absolutely clear that ...
... I like plain white rice
... I also like other unadorned staple foods.

The non-redundant, concise construction wins.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun May 04, 2014 1:41 pm

And these not?
"Matt trains in many ways SUCH AS BY DRIVING on racetracks."
"Matt enjoys intense activities, SUCH AS TO DRIVE fast cars."

"Such as" (or "such X's as") should be followed by a noun.

In "activities such as driving", driving is a noun. (It's like "Driving is fun.") So, you're good there.

"By driving" is not a noun"”it's a modifier"”so that's wrong.

"To drive", I can't tell you 100%. It is possible for "to + verb" to function as a noun"”e.g., To know me is to love me"”but I'm not sure we can countenance this construction.
We can't decide this one unless GMAC tests it either way. (That seems unlikely to me.)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun May 04, 2014 1:42 pm

I think that the reason is that "such as" has to be followed by gerund, and maybe even more specifically simple gerund phrases, but I'm not sure. If that is true would these sentences be correct?

"Matt trains in many ways SUCH AS DRIVING on racetracks."

I don't know the grammar terms. These __ing's are nouns, though, so they are fine.