Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
subsrim
Forum Guests

CR-The pace of technological development brings a constant..

by subsrim Fri May 20, 2011 7:04 am

Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a constant stream of new devices to the market, and many of them enjoy commercial success. But announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful device can backfire. Once consumers hear about the new device, they may stop buying the one currently on sale. So, if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline.

Which of the following, if true, would best support the analyst's main assertion?
New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales.
Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.
Many consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology.
Surveys have shown that some consumers make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas others make more frequent purchases.
Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using.

Hi,
Can someone please help me with this question. the answer given is B. But I think B weakens the argument. I opted for E as if consumers are loyal it means that even if a company waits enough time to release its next product people will buy it. And so it strengthens the argument. Instructors please help me with this
messi10
Course Students

Re: CR-The pace of technological development brings a constant..

by messi10 Mon May 23, 2011 6:50 am

Hi,

I think the actual conclusion of the argument is: "if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline."

Choice B correctly adds support to the analysts claim. If the company withheld the news of new products, the media will not be able to report it and thus the sales of the products currently in the market will not be affected. At least not due to news of a newer products.

Choice E I think is irrelevant. You have made the assumption that it implies that people will still buy the companies products regardless of information on newer products. If your logic is true, then this answer is weakening the conclusion because it means that people will still buy products in the market regardless of information on newer products. This undermines the analysts claim.

Remember - According to the question, you have to try and support the analysts claim

Hope this helps
subsrim
Forum Guests

by subsrim Mon May 23, 2011 7:27 am

Hi varun

I think choice B does not say that if companies withheld the news of new products, the media will not be able to report it . Rather the choice B which is
Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.

says that although there are media reports on the introduction of new devices the sales of old devices are still strong.

I am not clear how does that support the conclusion.
messi10
Course Students

by messi10 Mon May 23, 2011 8:09 am

Hi Subsrim,

I don't think you are interpreting Choice B correctly. It is not implying that the media reports have no affect on the sales. It clearly says that Media tends to report planned introduction of new products while the sales of the old product are still strong. That is what the analyst is worried about. He is saying that the companies should not announce the launch of new products when the current line of products is still doing well. So if the companies do not announce it, the media will have nothing to report and people will continue to buy what is available.

Think of it logically. If Apple announced the launch of iPad2 when the sales of iPad1 were going strong, potential customers would stop and wait for iPad2 to come out and not buy iPad1. However, apple did not do that. They waited until iPad1 had done very well, looked at all the short comings, and came out with iPad2 just at the right time.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Mon May 30, 2011 2:15 pm

Nicely explained varun!
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
sdotjoshi
Students

by sdotjoshi Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:25 am

Hi,
Could anyone pls clarify my doubts on this CR. I opted for E.
Although loyalty/Other companies is not mentioned in the passage i find it quite relevent.Could anyone pls explain the flaw in the logic:
Consider say (for the sake of argument) apple launches IPhone3 and its sales are increasing but in a short period of time Google launches andriod Froyo which is more advanced. Then Apple launches Iphone4 and Google launches Gingerbread an so on. So if the customer is not loyal to one brand then the assertion that a "company (eg Apple) should wait" does not hold good because it is the frequent advancements in technology only that is bringing the customers back.
The assertion would be true only if Apple loyal customers are not switching Google platforms hence E.
messi10
Course Students

by messi10 Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:06 am

Hi,

The flaw with your logic is that you are not answering the question that has been asked. You are justifying why getting customers back is important but that has nothing to do with this CR question.

Please read the posts above about the conclusion of the argument and if you still have doubts, please post back

Regards

Sunil
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Thanks, Sunil. Good points.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor