Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
Aquamarine
Course Students

Critical Reasoning Chapter 3, Page 70, Q. 6

by Aquamarine Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:23 pm

Products with innovative and appealing designs relative to competing products often command substantially higher prices in the marketplace.BECAUSE DESIGN INNOVATIONS ARE QUICKLY COPIED BY OTHER MANUFACTURERS, many consumer technology companies charge as much as possible for their new designs to extract as much value as possible from them.But large profits generated by innovative designs give stronger incentives to copy the designs. Therefore, THE BEST STRATEGY TO MAXIMIZE OVERALL PROFIT FROM AN INNOVATIVE NEW DESIGN IS TO CHARGE LESS THAN THE GREATEST POSSIBLE PRICE.

Consider the sentences in uppercase to be the boldfaced parts.

Q: In the argument above , the 2 portions in boldface (uppercase) play which of the following roles ?
(A) The First is an assumption that supports a described course of action; The second provides a consideration to support a preferred course of action.
(B) The first is a consideration that helps explain the appeal of a certain strategy;the second presents an alternative strategy endorsed by the argument.
(C) The first is a phenomenon that justifies a specific strategy ; the second is that strategy.
(D) The first is a consideration that demonstrates why a particular approach is flawed; the second describes a way to amend that approach.
(E) The first is a factor used to rationalize a particular strategy; The second is a factor against that strategy.

My answer selection was B since 'Charging as much as possible' and 'Charging less than the greatest possible price' seem like alternative strategies to me.

The book however states that the correct answer is C. It would be great if someone could explain how the first bold face is a phenomenon that justifies the 2nd strategy. It seems to be conflicting to me.

Thanks
Ishita
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Critical Reasoning Chapter 3, Page 70, Q. 6

by jnelson0612 Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:53 pm

Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor