Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
PerlaC497
Students

Critical reasoning question

by PerlaC497 Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:44 pm

Q: Most graduates of art schools go on to support themselves with a variety of odd jobs that have little or nothing to do with the graduates' artistic training. This has led to major doubts regarding how well the art schools are preparing their students for careers in art.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the author's criticism of art schools?

a) The curricula of most art schools tend to reflect the needs of the art world.
b) There are some graduates of art schools who go on to careers within the art world.
c) The purpose of an art school education is to ensure that students will be able to secure jobs in their fields. Correct Answer
d) People who intend to earn their livings in the field of art choose to go to art school to increase the quality of their work.
e) Students attend art schools with the intention of earning their livings in the art field.

I think it is e) because if students went with the intention of simply learning about art and then making their living in a different field, then it is not the arts schools' fault. So, by saying that students did intend to make their livings in the art field, then the school didn't prepare the students well.

However e) is not the right answer. I was wondering if someone could shed some light into my reasoning and tell me what is wrong.

Thanks!

Perla
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Critical reasoning question

by StaceyKoprince Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:46 pm

Hello! Please remember to read (and follow!) the forum guidelines before posting.

This folder is only for general strategy questions, not content or specific test problems. Check out the content / problem folders and post in the relevant folder depending upon the source of the problem you want to post (and make sure to follow the rules about citing the source of the problem and not posting problems from banned sources). We unfortunately can't answer until the source of the problem has been cited (and we have verified that it's not from a banned source).
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep