Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
guest612

critical reasoning - tiger sharks

by guest612 Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:35 pm

Tiger sharks are common in waters surrounding Tenare Island. Usually tiger sharks feed on smaller sharks, but sometimes they have attacked tourists swimming and surfing at Tenare's beaches. This has hurt Tenare's tourism industry, which is second only to its fishing industry in annual revenues. In order to help the economy, therefore, the mayor of the island has proposed an ongoing program to kill any tiger sharks within a mile of the beaches.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly calls into question the likelihood that implementation of the mayor's proposal will have the desired consequence?

A. Even if not all tiger sharks that come close to the beaches are killed, the existence of the program would reassure tourists.
B. Business owners who depend on tourism are willing to pay most of the cost of implementing the program.
C. Tourists come to Tenare Island for its beaches, even though the island features a number of other tourist attractions.
D. The small sharks on which tiger sharks prey feed on fish that are commercially important to the island's fisheries.
E. Not all tourists who come to Tenare Island enjoy swimming or surfing.

Correct Answer is D. I correctly eliminated B, C, E. I was left with A which didn't support the mayor's proposal and kind of went against it. Left with A/D, I chose A. Can you please elaborate on D?
Sudhan

by Sudhan Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:10 pm

As per the Diagramming approach, I am able to eliminate B, C and E and A.
In D, TS(Tiger sharks) -> S S(Small sharks)
|-> Fish --> important to Fishery Industry.

The Objective of Mayor's proposal is to eliminate the TS coming close to <than 1 mile of the beach so that TI and FI will improve from economy perspective.

Hence D
guest612

Ahhh. diagramming.

by guest612 Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:11 pm

Interesting. Ok. Thanks, Sudhan.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:07 am