Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
Samy

Dan - Urgent

by Samy Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:39 pm

Hey,
I am into the last week of my GMAT prep.
I would like to know what concerns should i address in this week.
Whether I should take some full length tests ? How many ?
What should I do 2 days before the test date ?
What physical or mental routines...?
What should I plan to eat during the breaks ?

Your comprehensive ans will really help.

Thanks

P.S: I had posted this in the correct forum, but there was no reply. So decided to post here after seeing you online.
GMAT 2007

by GMAT 2007 Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:33 pm

Good luck Samy. You worked hard, all the best for the test.

GMAT 2007
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

GMAT: what to do before test day

by StaceyKoprince Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:22 pm

Hi, Samy, sorry we didn't get to this on Wed. No more than one full-length test, not within 3 days of the actual test date. Taking a practice test is just a gauge of your performance - you don't actually learn a ton from tests unless and until you spend 5-10 hours going over every problem. Ideally, take a test about 7 days before, go over it, and use what you learn to hone your performance up until...

... the day before the test. Review high-level stuff (pacing, strategy, educated guessing technique - that level) for 1-2 hours. Then do something else to take your mind off things (go see an early movie). Get a good night's sleep both the night before and two nights before.

Food: complex carbs, protein and fat. If you like peanut butter on whole grain bread, that's perfect. Something to drink that contains real fruit juice, NOT high-fructose corn syrup or other highly processed sugars. For the meal you eat before you go to the testing center, eat until you're about 80% full, not 100%. No caffeine. Take the breaks, but assume they are 5 minutes long, not 10, just so you don't have the test start up on you before you're back in the room. On the break, eat and drink, stretch, do some jumping jacks or something else physical to get your blood pumping. Go to the bathroom even if you don't feel like you need to (know where the bathroom is before your test starts).

Also, about 30-60 minutes before the test starts, do some VERY easy practice problems. Don't bring the answers with you and don't go over them after. You're just warming your brain up - don't injure yourself right before the big game. :)

Good luck - let us know how it goes!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep