Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.

Data Sufficiency

by Guest Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:37 pm

:oops: I literally just took the GMAT (got home about an hour ago) and although my score is descent considering I studied on my own, its not going to get me into my first choice Grad School. My area of weakness is by far Data Sufficiency. I have the Official GMAT Quantitative Review book and gasp...the Kaplan Book (sorry!). However, I still don't "get it". I really want to do well on my next attempt. What would be better: A tutor or the boot camp?

I didn't know I had to wait 30 days to be eligible to take the exam again, but that buys me a month to prepare. So...please let mek now! Thanks!
Dan Gonzalez (MGMAT)

Private tutoring or Bootcamp?

by Dan Gonzalez (MGMAT) Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:29 am

Thanks for your question. It's not so uncommon to feel "weak" in Data Sufficiency. You're certainly not alone! Without a solid approach, however, it can be difficult to improve on DS. I find that students miss a DS question for one of two reasons: 1) they don't understand the math content presented in the problem, or 2) they make a Data Sufficiency logic mistake. I would say half of incorrect DS responses are the result of faulty DS logic. Most of the time, this leads to a test-taker missing questions that are EASIER than his/her overall ability. As you can imagine, this really affects the score in a negative way. A lot of people think they need to improve on the hardest questions in order to boost their score. More often than not, cinching up the easier ones (through work on DS process) turns out to be the key.

If you feel okay in everything aside from DS, I might recommend setting up a a few sessions with a private tutor. He/she can outline the process for you and diagnose any issues that you might have with your process.

The bootcamps are really designed for those who are working on a tight schedule. This learning format will give you a comprehensive survey of the important content and approaches needed for success on the GMAT, but it won't really give you the exclusive focus on DS that you're looking for.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Dan Gonzalez
Instructor