Discuss the pros and cons of individual programs, and their admissions criteria, with your peers here.
pmiklius
Students

Deciding on where to apply, what type of programs

by pmiklius Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:43 pm

Hello I am looking for some help on what schools I should apply and the chances I can get in

First of all -

Background information:

Undergrad - Purdue University GPA: 3.75
Major : Hospitality and Tourism Management
Several Deans Lists and student organizations

GMAT : 690 (Q47 V37) (considering a retake, thoughts on that? I feel I could do better but 690 is right in line where I am targeting at the moment)

Work Experience - (3 years upon applications)
2010 - 2011 - Manager Four Star resort, first job out of college. Responsible for staff, training, interviews for staff, inventory. Moved around several different restaurant outlets, a lot of great experience in management roles.

2011 - Current - Foodservice consultant
Design of commercial kitchens and restaurants. A lot of design work and project coordination. Currently project coordinator but am training for promotion to manage my own projects and become a project manager

Extra Curricular -
Several Work and professional organizations where an active member always trying to network and improve standing

Volunteer work here and there. Volunteer mentoring students and humane society

Looking to improve my extra curriculars, it is a decent part of my application but looking to improve with more management positions within organizations and non profit organizations

Goals: I am aiming for a top 25 school that will work with me and allow me to continue my studies in the hospitality industry. I am looking to get an MBA to eventually lead to a job in a hospitality company that works on business and planning for hotels and restaurants. My eventual dream goal is to start my own hotel/resort chain

Target Schools so far based on some basic research and profile evaluations. Right now I am targeting schools in the 10 to 20 range. I plan to choose two top ten schools and taking my shot but I need to do some more research on which two to choose.

Cornell
Emory
Tuck
Darden
Fuqua
McCombs
Anderson

It seems I am right below the GMAT Average for some of these schools and others I'm right at the Average if not slightly above.
After talking with some people I think general management would be the best course of action to reach my goals (although if I can get into Cornell the Hotel MBA would not be a bad choice).

Any thoughts on my chances to get into these schools?

My second question is whether part time should be an option for me? I know I could work from any location remotely for my company and go to school part time but I feel that full time is my better option. I am looking to leave the design consulting and get more into business planning and marketing for the hospitality industry (hence changing career paths) and from everything I've read if you intend to change careers/industry it is better to go full time.

Is full time my better option or could I get the same effect at a solid part time school?
shreyamalhotra62
Forum Guests

Re: Deciding on where to apply, what type of programs

by shreyamalhotra62 Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:50 am

Hello,
after looking at your background of what you have being doing in your career, full time MBA is always good.
And Suggesting you Amity business schoolis India's best having the faculty which one might look at before getting it in that school.
ArmanM2
Forum Guests

by ArmanM2 Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:13 am

pmiklius Wrote:Hello I am looking for some help on what schools I should apply and the chances I can get in

First of all -

Background information:

Undergrad - Purdue University GPA: 3.75
Major : Hospitality and Tourism Management
Several Deans Lists and student organizations

GMAT : 690 (Q47 V37) (considering a retake, thoughts on that? I feel I could do better but 690 is right in line where I am targeting at the moment)

Work Experience - (3 years upon applications)
2010 - 2011 - Manager Four Star resort, first job out of college. Responsible for staff, training, interviews for staff, inventory. Moved around several different restaurant outlets, a lot of great experience in management roles.

2011 - Current - Foodservice consultant
Design of commercial kitchens and restaurants. A lot of design work and project coordination. Currently project coordinator but am training for promotion to manage my own projects and become a project manager

Extra Curricular -
Several Work and professional organizations where an active member always trying to network and improve standing

Volunteer work here and there. Volunteer mentoring students and humane society

Looking to improve my extra curriculars, it is a decent part of my application but looking to improve with more management positions within organizations and non profit organizations

Goals: I am aiming for a top 25 school that will work with me and allow me to continue my studies in the hospitality industry. I am looking to get an MBA to eventually lead to a job in a hospitality company that works on business and planning for hotels and restaurants. My eventual dream goal is to start my own hotel/resort chain

Target Schools so far based on some basic research and profile evaluations. Right now I am targeting schools in the 10 to 20 range. I plan to choose two top ten schools and taking my shot but I need to do some more research on which two to choose.

Cornell
Emory
Tuck
Darden
Fuqua
McCombs
Anderson

It seems I am right below the GMAT Average for some of these schools and others I'm right at the Average if not slightly above.
After talking with some people I think general management would be the best course of action to reach my goals (although if I can get into Cornell the Hotel MBA would not be a bad choice).

Any thoughts on my chances to get into these schools?

My second question is whether part time should be an option for me? I know I could work from any location remotely for my company and go to school part time but I feel that full time is my better option. I am looking to leave the design consulting and get more into business planning and marketing for the hospitality industry (hence changing career paths) and from everything I've read if you intend to change careers/industry it is better to go full time.

Is full time my better option or could I get the same effect at a solid part time school?

Getting chance to get into these mentioned b-schools are quite tough, cause these schools accept GMAT score above 700. But I have a question for you, what's your future plan after completing your MBA?
ashishk353
Forum Guests

by ashishk353 Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:36 am

Hi, I have 2 years of work experience and I want to do the GMBA Program from SP Jain School of Global Management. What do you suggest?
Thanks
karanr694
Forum Guests

by karanr694 Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:02 am

ashishk353 Wrote:Hi, I have 2 years of work experience and I want to do the GMBA Program from SP Jain School of Global Management. What do you suggest?
Thanks

Hello
The eligibility criteria clearly states that you need 3 years of full time work experience.
ashishk353
Forum Guests

by ashishk353 Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:16 am

karanr694 Wrote:
ashishk353 Wrote:Hi, I have 2 years of work experience and I want to do the GMBA Program from SP Jain School of Global Management. What do you suggest?
Thanks

Hello
The eligibility criteria clearly states that you need 3 years of full time work experience.

I think I will have to wait another year to do the GMBA Program...
karanr694
Forum Guests

by karanr694 Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:27 am

ashishk353 Wrote:
karanr694 Wrote:
Thanks

Hello

I think I will have to wait another year to do the GMBA Program...

But why do you want to wait for a year? There are many other good B schools you can do your MBA from.
ashishk353
Forum Guests

by ashishk353 Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:02 am

But why do you want to wait for a year? There are many other good B schools you can do your MBA from.[/quote]

A friend of mine had done her GMBA from there and she got placed in HCL. Also their tri city model sounds interesting.
ramk784
Forum Guests

by ramk784 Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:19 am

ashishk353 Wrote:But why do you want to wait for a year? There are many other good B schools you can do your MBA from.

A friend of mine had done her GMBA from there and she got placed in HCL. Also their tri city model sounds interesting.[/quote]

If the tri city model is the reason you want to do your GMBA why don’t you try their Masters of Global Business Program?
ashishk353
Forum Guests

by ashishk353 Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:38 am

ramk784 Wrote:
ashishk353 Wrote:But why do you want to wait for a year? There are many other good B schools you can do your MBA from.

A friend of mine had done her GMBA from there and she got placed in HCL. Also their tri city model sounds interesting.

If the tri city model is the reason you want to do your GMBA why don’t you try their Masters of Global Business Program?[/quote]

The masters program does not require 3 years of experience?
ramk784
Forum Guests

by ramk784 Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:50 am

ashishk353 Wrote:
ramk784 Wrote:

If the tri city model is the reason you want to do your GMBA why don’t you try their Masters of Global Business Program?

The masters program does not require 3 years of experience?[/quote]

No, this program is especially for people who have less than 3 years or no work experience.
ashishk353
Forum Guests

by ashishk353 Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:58 am

What is the duration of the course?
ramk784
Forum Guests

by ramk784 Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:17 am

ashishk353 Wrote:What is the duration of the course?

It is a 16 month course which includes 4 months of internship.
you can check their website for more details.
ashishk353
Forum Guests

by ashishk353 Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:20 am

ramk784 Wrote:
ashishk353 Wrote:What is the duration of the course?

It is a 16 month course which includes 4 months of internship.
you can check their website for more details.

Oh ok! will surely check it out. Thank you for your help. Appreciate it. :)
ajitj878
Forum Guests

by ajitj878 Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:30 am

Hello since you have just completed your graduation you wouldn’t be eligible to apply for an MBA. A certain amount of work experience is required. Why don’t you work for a couple of years and then apply?