Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
JbhB682
Course Students

Difference in meaning

by JbhB682 Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:24 pm

This is based off of the another Manhattan question

Source : myself

1) I am concerned, although there is no historical precedence of barking dogs scaring the milkman

2) I am concerned, although there is no historical precedence THAT barking dogs scare the milkman

3) I am concerned, although there is no historical precedence THAT barking dogs are scaring the milkman
JbhB682
Course Students

Re: Difference in meaning

by JbhB682 Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:28 pm

I was curious what is the meaning difference between these three sentences (if there are) ?
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:59 am

I think you are mixing up the homophones "precedent" (something that serves as a rule or example) and "precedence" (a priority), since the dogs scaring (or not scaring) the milkman would be a historical example in your sentences.

Usually "precedence" is used with "give" or "take": X takes precedence over Y (where X and Y are nouns)

Often "precedent" is used with "set": The court set a precedent by rejecting their claim.

Here's a good resource: Precedent vs. Precedence
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:32 am

Thank you so much Emily for responding. Let me get rid of the word precedence entirely as the essence of my question is completely to do with the modifiers in blue

Source : myself

1) I am concerned, although there is no evidence of barking dogs scaring the milkman
2) I am concerned, although there is no evidence THAT barking dogs scare the milkman
3) I am concerned, although there is no evidence THAT barking dogs are scaring the milkman

Do you think the 1st and 2nd are wrong ?

I think the 2nd is wrong because THAT is not followed by a clause

I am not sure why the 1st would be wrong
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:26 pm

1) is wrong because of poor idiom. Idioms don't always have a "reason," but here I'd say that you can say "evidence of X" if X is a noun, and its awkward to make a noun phrase out of an -ing word, namely, the "dogs scaring the milkman" is treated as a thing.

2) is correct. "Barking dogs scare the milkman" is indeed a clause because "scare" is a present tense verb.

3) is correct. "Barking dogs are scaring the milkman" is a clause with a present progressive tense verb.

There's only a slight meaning difference between (2) and (3): present progressive indicates ongoing "right now" action, whereas the present can refer to right now or even just something that's true in general or is ever true. (2) might mean that the milkman is never scared by dogs. Another example: I read two books a week. Yes, I am reading this week, but it's also something I always do in general.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT