The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
modirh
Students

Disaster Strikes -

by modirh Fri May 21, 2010 4:11 pm

After months and months (close to 5 months) of self-study I felt really confident. I was scoring consistently over 700 (710-750) on MGMAT and Practice GMAT. I know I have a problem with anxiety and sleeplessness so two nights before the exam I only gave myself 5 hours of sleep so that I would be able to sleep the night before the exam.
Wrong! I tossed and turned all night! I couldn't calm my mind. Even worse is I started popping sleeping pills in a insomniac panic at 4am (my test was at 11am). Even with the pills I didn't get one wink the entire night! 5 hours of sleep for two days. I was a complete zombie. Drank a ton of coffee and tried a few practice problem at home and just didn't have the energy to complete them. I contemplated taking a "No-Show". In the end I decided to go since this would be my first official test. Ended up with a 670 (quant a dismal 43 and verbal 39). Obviously I was going for a 700+.

I'm not totally discouraged as I don't seem *that* far off and given my condition,I want to take the exam again. What should my strategy be? Hit quant hard for a month and take it again? Anyone have tips for relaxing and sleeping the night before? I've suffered from anxiety insomnia my entire life. I don't know what to do about it.
s.aamershah
Students

Re: Disaster Strikes -

by s.aamershah Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:38 pm

Hi Modirh,

I've been in a similar situation. I had to take a two-day licensing exam for work about 2 years ago and before the second test day I barely got any sleep.

You have to give yourself some credit, scoring a 670 with no sleep is pretty impressive. Imagine how you'll do if you can get a handle on your sleep.

I've been self studying for 6 months and I'm taking the GMAT this Saturday at 8:00 a.m. This will be my first attempt so I'm hoping I can get some sleep before the test as well.

Here's my plan:
- Exercise the evening before the test (go for a jog/run for an hour - any way that I can wear my self out)
- Avoid all caffeine about 12 hours before nighttime
- Drink some decaffeinated green tea the night before (its helped me with test anxiety before) - I worry that sleeping aids will make me groggy during the test
- Go to bed around 11 p.m. This way even if I get only 5-6 hours its better than nothing.
- Don't think about the test or the consequences. I couldn't sleep the night before my licensing exam because it was for work and if I didn't pass there was a high likelihood I could lose my job. (Obviously thinking about that didn't help)

The know that the GMAT is important but I also know its not the most important thing.

I would suggest if you've had trouble with anxiety, before you retake the test maybe you should see a doctor.

As far as any studying in between a retake I would suggest focusing on verbal. Its harder but an improvement in this area is better for the overall score.