Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.
yellowribbonsw

Disconnected and unexpected results

by yellowribbonsw Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:49 pm

Hi, when I was doing the Math section of the CAT exam, my internet connection disconnected for a minute and then I returned. I ended up a score of 51 in that section, but something doesn't seem right for me.

I looked at the question list, I found that after I got the question right (the one where I d/c), which is a 700-800 level question, the computer gave me a 600-700 question, and there on although i got almost every question right, the majority of the questions are only 600-700 level. One of the question in the middle was even 500-600.

Does it look like there is a problem and my scores are inflated?

Thank you.

by Guest Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:39 pm

I don't think so.
Your ability might have been already judged in the previous questions. These questions were just to narrow it down.
After 15-20 questions, the algorithm narrows your ability and then confirms it in the next set of questions. Had you made some 500-600 questions wrong, you might have got 700-800 next and if got right, you might still end up at 51.

this is my assessment and I amy be wrong.

I once got 51 by getting 4 questions wrong and once got 51 by getting 8 questions wrong (these were all in 700-800).
Do not worry about algorithm. You can't beat it. Just keep on doing your best.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:20 am

strange.

i'll forward this query on to our tech types, who would be more likely to have an answer that's better than "uh huh ... uh ... strange."
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:19 pm

One of a couple of things might be going on. (Also: to the guest's post about your score being "already narrowed down" after 15-20 questions - that's not how the test works. You could do a great job on the first 15-20 and do a bad job on the rest and your score could tank. It's a myth that the earlier questions "set" your score and then it won't go down.)

First, how many practice tests have you taken and how were you scoring in quant on those? If you were scoring very high in general (that is, using up a lot of the 700-800 questions) and you've taken 4 or more tests, then you might have used up most of the 700+ questions. The algorithm isn't permitted to give you questions you've already seen until test 7, so it will give you lower level questions but still keep your score high b/c it knows it's giving you lower level questions simply because you've used the higher ones up for the most part. This obviously won't happen on the real test - it's a limitation on practice tests specifically if you're scoring at a high level on many tests.

That's the most likely scenario, but if you haven't been scoring very well on enough tests that you used up most of the questions, then it could have something to do with the fact that you got disconnected. I've seen that happen once before with another student - after the disconnect, something got messed up with the algorithm. But I've only heard of that happening once!

If you think it might have been the latter scenario, send an email to techsupport@manhattangmat.com and ask them to take a look and see if something went screwy.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:18 pm

Our IT director tried to look into this for you, but the email address you posted here is not one that we have in our student system. If you'd like him to look into this, please send an email to techsupport@manhattangmat.com with your identifying info. Thanks!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep