If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
mariap770
Forum Guests

Do i have a chance - poor work experience

by mariap770 Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:19 pm

Well, i just passed my gmat and got 700 from first attempt - balanced score. Since i need to submit applications before christmas i decided to focus on applications and not retake the test. Of course i will target top MBA programs like COlumbia, Stern, etc. I am 28 years old, female, from Russia. The trick with me is that i immigrated as i student at the age of 21 from small town without any money, but with big hopes to make it in a big city. I had to enroll at the school in New york to get a degree - instead of getting finance BA i decided to pursue art history as i found it fascinating. While i was studying i did odd jobs to survive - so i finally got my diploma at the age of 27. I did a number of good internships, but i was unable to get a job in the industry - well, it is really hard + i went to inexpensive college as i couldn't afford any better, which is disadvantages as well. So the only opportunity in life i see now is to get into MBA program to get a job in media (i got a job during winter olympics with NBC and absolutely loved it - worked mostly as translator in russia), but since my case is a little unusual i can not show 4-5 years of job experience to admission committee, nor can i wait more to get any as time is not on my side. I dont want to bore any one, but please give me your opinion on my case. Do you think i have a chance to get into good school? thank you
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Do i have a chance - poor work experience

by mbamissionjenK Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:40 am

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your story... to summarize, how much full time experience if any DO you have?? That may be relevant. GMAT is respectable. How were your undergrad grades? Do you feel you can show evidence of leadership skills? Do you have any involvement in the community or otherwise?

I think your chances could be tough, and you never want it to sound like you are looking at the MBA for lack of a better option. That said you could look at schools that are not top ranked in the country but strong locally; if you are still in NYC maybe Fordham for example or Baruch, and perhaps you would have a shot at programs like those.

Hope something works out!!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php