If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
brianmhull
Course Students

Does Freelance count as full time experience?

by brianmhull Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:12 am

I spent about a year trying to work as a freelance musician and writer. Much of this year was fairly lean, with only a few gigs and web design projects.

On my data forms, would I still count this time as professional experience even though much of it was spent preparing a failed book proposal and other, similar endeavors?

It seems to me schools may expect professional experience to come from a more structured environment.

Thank you for any input you can provide.
mbamission
Students

Re: Does Freelance count as full time experience?

by mbamission Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:01 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. I think that you should include your year freelancing in your application. First, you’ll have to document what you did with that time. If you do not, the Admissions Committee may be left wondering how you spent your time. I wouldn’t expect that they will be able to put things together. Second, if you explain your music, writing and web design work yourself, you can shape the message. I’m sure that you learned a great deal from these experiences, even if you had to deal with challenges and failures. Perhaps these experiences helped inform your career goals. I would look at it as an opportunity to present a unique element of your story and candidacy, rather than as something that you should worry about explaining away. I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Akiba Smith-Francis

MBA Mission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

MBA Mission Insider’s Guides: www.mbamission.com/store.php (11 individual school titles)
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php
Twitter: http://twitter.com/MBAMission
hass2k
Students

by hass2k Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:24 am

Yeah, of course. For example, I have a very large portfolio with good recommendations on my CV with help from https://craftresumes.com/cv-writing-editing-guide/. I'm a middle UX/UI designer for 2 years as a freelancer and there are many job offers from europian firms. There is nothing judgmental in the remote job. After all, if I want to continue to live in your country, but is in demand in other continents - this will be considered quality freelancing. One of important thing is your resume.
Natalia GraceS479
Forum Guests

by Natalia GraceS479 Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:14 am

brianmhull Wrote:I spent about a year trying to work as a freelance musician and writer. Much of this year was fairly lean, with only a few gigs and web design projects.

On my data forms, would I still count this time as professional experience even though much of it was spent preparing a failed book proposal and other, similar endeavors?

It seems to me schools may expect professional experience to come from a more structured environment.

Thank you for any input you can provide.

Hey,

Freelance is a good place to start, but it won't count as a professional experience. The experience and knowledge you got from your projects might help you gain a better understanding of the skill or a subject, but to whichever school you apply, they will expect you to submit some credible learning/work experience. Say if you worked as an intern at a professional Dallas web design company, your work experience would be considered credible. For freelance, it's a bit on the downside and there's no guarantee or authenticity approach.
kristiansenk277
Forum Guests

by kristiansenk277 Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:50 am

Why not. And that depends on the employee and company. But if you tell us as a full-time experience also no problem.
>> working robux generator online