Discuss the pros and cons of individual programs, and their admissions criteria, with your peers here.
VarunN658
Forum Guests

Does ranking matter in b-school selection?

by VarunN658 Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:24 am

Just got to know more about S P Jain School of Global Management and ISB, they both have been ranked no. 44 by Poets and Quants.

S P Jain School of Global Management has been ranked #19 in the world and #5 in Asia by Forbes 2013, while ISB has been ranked #39 by FT 2013.

Now my question is - does these ranking matter while selecting the b-schools? I searched for several factors that should be taken care of while selecting the b-school like study criteria, global exposure, classroom activities, ranking, placement, etc.

Please let us know your reviews.

Thanks in advance!

Varun
priyab837
Forum Guests

Re: Does ranking matter in b-school selection?

by priyab837 Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:41 am

VarunN658 Wrote:Just got to know more about S P Jain School of Global Management and ISB, they both have been ranked no. 44 by Poets and Quants.

S P Jain School of Global Management has been ranked #19 in the world and #5 in Asia by Forbes 2013, while ISB has been ranked #39 by FT 2013.

Now my question is - does these ranking matter while selecting the b-schools? I searched for several factors that should be taken care of while selecting the b-school like study criteria, global exposure, classroom activities, ranking, placement, etc.

Please let us know your reviews.

Thanks in advance!

Varun

Hi,
According to me both are brilliant schools; however I feel you must consider location as a key factor in choosing your school. ISB is placed far away from the city of Hyderabad. So, your exposure to various business cultures might be restricted.
ashishk353
Forum Guests

by ashishk353 Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:44 am

Yes, I completely agree with you. Both have a really good ranking. So the choice could be relative. If you are looking for global exposure then SP Jain has much more to offer than ISB.
karanr694
Forum Guests

by karanr694 Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:07 am

ashishk353 Wrote:Yes, I completely agree with you. Both have a really good ranking. So the choice could be relative. If you are looking for global exposure then SP Jain has much more to offer than ISB.

What is it that SP Jain is offering and ISB is not??
ashishk353
Forum Guests

by ashishk353 Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:01 am

karanr694 Wrote:
ashishk353 Wrote:Yes, I completely agree with you. Both have a really good ranking. So the choice could be relative. If you are looking for global exposure then SP Jain has much more to offer than ISB.

SP Jain has a very different feature which is the "Tri-city" MBA. Students study every semester in a different city and get to experience diverse cultures.
This helps them develop a global intelligence.
ajitj878
Forum Guests

by ajitj878 Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:51 am

karanr694 Wrote:

You know in many B schools abroad they help you develop your decision making skills. And quick decision making skill is one of the most important qualities companies look for.
SP Jain actually has a Decision Making Labs where the students are trained to take quick and apt decisions.
prakashm902
Forum Guests

by prakashm902 Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:58 am

You know in many B schools abroad they help you develop your decision making skills. And quick decision making skill is one of the most important qualities companies look for.
SP Jain actually has a Decision Making Labs where the students are trained to take quick and apt decisions.[/quote]

Wow I didnt know that something like this exists. And that institutions pay so much attention to decision making.
purvip836
Forum Guests

by purvip836 Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:32 am

You know the benefit of studying in three different cities is that you get to learn the Sheikh business culture from Dubai, the Western business culture from Sydney and the Chinese business culture from Singapore. The Tri city structure MBA of SP Jain will definitely broaden your horizons.
KB843
Forum Guests

by KB843 Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:19 am

purvip836 Wrote:You know the benefit of studying in three different cities is that you get to learn the Sheikh business culture from Dubai, the Western business culture from Sydney and the Chinese business culture from Singapore. The Tri city structure MBA of SP Jain will definitely broaden your horizons.

This is a very good point, if you have the opportunity to study in different cultures and different business environments it is definitely a positive experience
VarunN658
Forum Guests

by VarunN658 Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:13 am

Yeah, I know. That's why I have joined GMBA at S P Jain Global over ISB. I will get an opportunity to deal with 3 different cultures and business etiquette.

I have this tri-city study concept for the first time, and really impressive and 21st century required.