Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
goelmohit2002
Students

Doubt about Comparison

by goelmohit2002 Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:43 pm

Hi All,

Following is one of the right answers of GMAT Prep question:

Can someone please help me understand how the following comparison is complete. Don't we need "that of" before "all" to complete the comparison.

===========================================
More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
==============================================

There are some examples in OG where it clearly say that in order to complete the comparison we need to have that/those. Can some one please tell why the same is not the case here ?

=============================================

The original question is copy pasted below for quick reference. The OA is "A"

More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

A. More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

B. With 20 percent of the world's fresh water, that is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that drain into it.

C. Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, it holds more of the world's fresh water than all that of the North American Great Lakes combined, 20 percent.

D. While more than 300 rivers drain into it, Siberia's Lake Baikal holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, which is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
goelmohit2002
Students

Re: Doubt about Comparison

by goelmohit2002 Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:46 pm

Experts kindly share your opinion please !!!
sachin.iet
Students

by sachin.iet Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:12 pm

Well Mohit
As far as my understanding goes,the original sentence is trying to make a comparison b/w the fresh water holding capacity of Lake Baikal and the fresh water holding capacity of All the North American Great lakes combined.

The meaning would be more obvious if the original sentence would have been written something as below
"More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined HOLDS"
Now the second HOLDS being obvious has been dropped for conciseness.

An example may explain it all:
"I have more cars than you have" == "I have more cars than you"

Hope this clears.
Kindly revert with your views if you feel otherwise.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:09 am

here's the principal thread on this problem.

more-than-300-rivers-drain-into-t5054.html

search the forum, please, guys