Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
rockyrashidi
Course Students

[Help] DS problem about percents

by rockyrashidi Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:13 pm

Hi Guys,
I am a newcomer here and i am not sure if this is the right place to ask, I have a GMAT problem here, and its not that hard apparently but maybe I am stupid .
By what percent was the price of a certain television set discounted for a sale?
(1) The price of the television set before it was discounted for the sale was 25 percent
greater than the discounted price.
(2) The price of the television set was discounted by $60 for the sale.

ok so I keep getting E, now can someone just call me stupid and explain to me, and make me understand what this 25% greater is. I just dont get this concept. We are saying the D(1.25) = O , with O being original price and D being discount price. If Original price is 25% greater than the Discounted price, then how is it possbile that the discount is 20%?? thats what is driving me crazy. How is orginal price greater by 25%, if discount is 20% off, should the original price be 20% more than the discounted price???
sorry if i sound stupid but this got me very frustrated
RonPurewal
Students

Re: [Help] DS problem about percents

by RonPurewal Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:39 am

as per the forum rules, we need a citation of the original source of this problem before we can discuss it here.

thank you.

__
RonPurewal
Students

Re: [Help] DS problem about percents

by RonPurewal Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:39 am

also, it appears you've posted the same problem twice. do not double-post. thank you.