Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.
gaurav.kulkarni1
Forum Guests

DS query from MGMAT 4

by gaurav.kulkarni1 Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:58 am

A number of oranges are to be distributed evenly among a number of baskets. Each basket will contain at least one orange. If there are 20 oranges to be distributed, what is the number of oranges per basket?

(1) If the number of baskets were halved and all other conditions remained the same, there would be twice as many oranges in every remaining basket.

(2) If the number of baskets were doubled, it would no longer be possible to place at least one orange in every basket.

The answer mentioned is that statement 2 alone is sufficient. However, if I consider the first statement that halving the number of baskets results in twice the oranges, I still get the answer - since there's only 1 set of numbers in the factors of 20 that satisfies this rule .... Confused what am I doing wrong, could you help please?
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: DS query from MGMAT 4

by jnelson0612 Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:20 pm

Check out this thread and please let us know if you need more help: oranges-only-t11074.html
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
chen.penny
Students

by chen.penny Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:45 pm

OK, so I'm not the only one who's confused by this question.

The question stem is essentially this equation: 20/b=R. b = baskets, R = oranges per basket.

Statement 1 gives this equation: 20/0.5b=2R. Isolating b, you get R/5.

Substituting R/5 for b in the original equation of 20/b=R, you get R=10.

It seems to make sense too. 10 oranges per basket means 2 baskets. If you half 2 baskets to 1 basket, you get 20 oranges per basket.

Can someone explain the error I'm making? I think it's something totally basic that I'm overlooking...

Thank you.
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:05 am

b does not equal R/5. check your algebra. remember, b and .5 are in the denominator..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html