Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
JbhB682
Course Students

DS testing strategy

by JbhB682 Thu May 07, 2020 7:04 pm

Hi Experts -

When doing DS problems specifically testing cases,

Does it make sense for one to attempt to use the same test cases in statement 2, that they used in statement 1 ? (assuming the restrictions in S2 allow for it)

I think it might make sense to do use the same test cases across the board because in case both S1 and S2 are both INS,

I think you have a ready-made case which is applicable for S1 and S2 together now, when testing if C is sufficient or not

Just wanted your thoughts !

Thank you !
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: DS testing strategy

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sun May 10, 2020 4:49 am

It's a little hard to make a rule out of this, as every problem is a bit different. But yes, I agree that reusing some cases can be a great way to save time. As you wrote, it also prepares you for testing the two statements together to decide between C and E (if you need to). This is particularly relevant when there are restrictions in the question stem itself, i.e. there is some "background data" that narrows the possible cases before you even reach the statements. That said, it's hard for me to comment so generally. Do you have a particular problem in mind?