Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
NaomiD519
Course Students

Dumb Question Regarding Problem Sets and GMAT Navigator

by NaomiD519 Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:50 pm

I'm doing the MGMAT Interact Course (just finished Session 6) and all the advice says to make random, timed problem sets to move away from individual questions.

Since GMAT Navigator requires you to input each question individually, how do I make the set? Do I just do 10 OG questions in a row? Am I missing something?

Also, is there any way to sort Navigator by difficulty rather than topic?
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Dumb Question Regarding Problem Sets and GMAT Navigator

by StaceyKoprince Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:16 pm

This article describes how to make problem sets - essentially, yes, you just pick problems yourself. But the article gives you some guidelines for how best to do so. :)

https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/2014 ... blem-sets/

We don't have a sort-by-diff-level feature, no. It wouldn't actually be as useful as it might seem, because your strengths and weaknesses are different than the general population - so something that you think is easier might be labeled more difficult and vice versa. Best just to do random problems with a mix of difficulties, just like the real test.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
NaomiD519
Course Students

by NaomiD519 Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:45 pm

Thanks - I meant this more mechanically in terms of how to make a problem set that simulates the test when I'm confined to a clunky book. I guess there's just no way around it though.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:28 pm

Ah! When you're working from the book, yeah...it's just not going to be like doing a set on the computer.

If that annoys you enough that you're willing to invest a little, you can buy the extra Question Pack that goes with GMATPrep. It's got about 400 questions and, last I checked, it only cost about $25. You can set that up to give you random problems sets - you tell it how many questions you want in the set, the difficulty buckets (easy, medium, difficult) that you want it to pull from, etc.

You can buy it on the mba.com website (from their store) - it's a download into the free GMATPrep software.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep
KacyY490
Students

by KacyY490 Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:42 pm

I had the same question so I appreciate the answer; however, I do think it would be helpful if the navigator could essentially pull up a random next question given a set of parameters (book, type, topic, etc.) or, if it could generate a problem set of x number of questions. The user could then flip to the page specified by the navigator and better simulate a variety of questions. It seems like you don't necessarily want to be practicing mostly easier questions all in a row or mostly harder questions all in a row.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:43 pm

Yes, you definitely want to mix things up in problem sets. Navigator doesn't have* the "random generator" capability, but you can create sets yourself! I write about how to do so in this series:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... rt-1-of-3/

Note: The series begins at the beginning—when someone just starts studying. So just keep reading until you get to whatever stage of study you're at right now. And let me know if you have any questions or want to discuss anything!

*I'd love for Nav to have this capability but our tech team has too much else to do, unfortunately. But this is definitely on my wish list!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep