Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
chetan86
Students

Each year red-winged blackbirds stop in a certain region of

by chetan86 Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:45 am

Each year red-winged blackbirds stop in a certain region of Midland Province on their spring and fall migrations. In the fall, they eat a significant portion of the province’s sunflower crop. This year Midland farmers sought permits to set out small amounts of poisoned rice during the blackbirds’ spring stop in order to reduce the fall blackbird population. Some residents voiced concern that the rice could threaten certain species of
rare migratory birds. Nevertheless, the wildlife agency approved the permits.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to justify the wildlife agency’s approval of the
permits, given the concerns voiced by some residents?
A. In the region where the red-winged blackbirds stop, they are the first birds to be present in the spring.
B. The poison that farmers want to use does not kill birds but rather makes them incapable of producing viable eggs.
C. Since rice is not raised in Midland Province, few species of birds native to the province normally eat rice.
D. Without the permit, any farmers shown to have set out poison for the blackbirds would be heavily fined.
E. The poison that farmers got approval to use has no taste or smell that would make it detectable by birds.

Could you please explain how A is the correct answer?
If the red-winged blackbirds are the first bird to be present in the spring then they will be more vulnerable to poison.

Last edited by chetan86 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Each year red-winged blackbirds stop in a certain region of

by RonPurewal Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:29 am

looks like you answered your own question:

If the red-winged blackbirds are the first bird to be present in the spring then they will be more vulnerable to poison.

^^ ... and that's exactly what we are trying to do!

make sure you've understood the point of the plan correctly: we want to poison the blackbirds. the objection is based on the risk of accidentally poisoning other birds.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:29 am

... and, by the way, if your initial understanding of the passage was "we don't want to poison the blackbirds", then you should have realized pretty quickly that something was wrong there: you wouldn't even know what type of animal we were trying to poison!
chetan86
Students

by chetan86 Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:17 am

RonPurewal Wrote:looks like you answered your own question:

^^ ... and that's exactly what we are trying to do!

make sure you've understood the point of the plan correctly: we want to poison the blackbirds. the objection is based on the risk of accidentally poisoning other birds.

yeah, you are right. I assumed that red-winged blackbirds are rare birds and poison would threathen their survival.
The concern of the residents is to save "certain species of rare migratory birds", so if the red-winged blackbirds are the first one to eat poison then it will affect only them not to rare migratory birds.

I missed the point that red-winged blackbirds are not rare migratory birds.

Thanks for clarifying my doubt.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:46 am

ok.

the goal of the farmers' actions is, as stated, "to reduce the fall blackbird population".

what did you understand as the purpose of setting out the poisoned rice?
clearly we have to be trying to kill something; we don't randomly spread poisons for no reason.

if you didn't understand that they want to kill the blackbirds, who/what did you think they wanted to kill?
chetan86
Students

by chetan86 Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:46 am

RonPurewal Wrote:ok.

the goal of the farmers' actions is, as stated, "to reduce the fall blackbird population".

what did you understand as the purpose of setting out the poisoned rice?
clearly we have to be trying to kill something; we don't randomly spread poisons for no reason.

if you didn't understand that they want to kill the blackbirds, who/what did you think they wanted to kill?

Actually, I correctly understood that farmers want to kill black bird, but wrongly assumed that residents want to save black bird. Initially I assumed that black birds are the rare birds, so my interpretation of the argument was wrong.

After reading your explanation I come to know that black birds and rare birds are different, and, as black birds are the first bird to eat poisoned rice, farmers' action would not affect species of rare migratory birds.

Thanks!!
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:43 am

Let us know if you have any further questions on this one.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:14 pm

chetan86 Wrote:After reading your explanation I come to know that black birds and rare birds are different, and, as black birds are the first bird to eat poisoned rice, farmers' action would not affect species of rare migratory birds.

Thanks!!

regarding the pink stuff:
the problem writers are EXTREMELY meticulous about specific words and names. if you see two different names, you're talking about two different things.
chetan86
Students

by chetan86 Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:07 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
chetan86 Wrote:After reading your explanation I come to know that black birds and rare birds are different, and, as black birds are the first bird to eat poisoned rice, farmers' action would not affect species of rare migratory birds.

Thanks!!

regarding the pink stuff:
the problem writers are EXTREMELY meticulous about specific words and names. if you see two different names, you're talking about two different things.

Hi Ron,

I overlook those things.
Thanks a lot for your help. Without your help, it would have been difficult for me understand this question.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:42 pm

you're welcome.
SHOUMODIPR218
Students

by SHOUMODIPR218 Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:56 am

Hi Ron,

I thought that though the Red Winged birds are first to arrive, the poisonous rice still may be left to harm the rare migratory birds. However, since the wildlife sanctuary people have allowed the use of rice then the poison might not actually reduce population of rare migratory birds by killing the birds. Simultaneously the rice would render the Red Winged birds incapable to produce anymore eggs and thus control their population size. This would help to achieve both the aim:
1. not to kill rare birds
2. control the size of Red Winged birds.
So i chose B - the WRONG option.

Pls point me the direction where my pre-thinking went WRONG??

Regards
Shoum
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:13 am

choice B says that the poison does this IN GENERAL. so, if that choice is true, the poison will ruin the fertility of ANY bird that eats it -- not just the red-winged blackbirds.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:15 am

also --

I thought that though the Red Winged birds are first to arrive, the poisonous rice still may be left to harm the rare migratory birds.

that red part is the problem here.

you can't just make up a RANDOM possibility, and then try to build an argument on it!

i mean... just think about it. this is like saying "oh, it MIGHT rain tomorrow ... so, the baseball game will DEFINITELY be cancelled." obviously, this makes no sense.

in general -- if your reasoning EVER contains "might", "may", "could", "maybe", etc... then STOP right there; that's an invalid line of reasoning, which can't "strengthen" or "weaken" anything.
SHOUMODIPR218
Students

by SHOUMODIPR218 Mon May 01, 2017 11:22 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:also --

I thought that though the Red Winged birds are first to arrive, the poisonous rice still may be left to harm the rare migratory birds.

that red part is the problem here.

you can't just make up a RANDOM possibility, and then try to build an argument on it!

i mean... just think about it. this is like saying "oh, it MIGHT rain tomorrow ... so, the baseball game will DEFINITELY be cancelled." obviously, this makes no sense.

in general -- if your reasoning EVER contains "might", "may", "could", "maybe", etc... then STOP right there; that's an invalid line of reasoning, which can't "strengthen" or "weaken" anything.

Thanks Ron...I have got many questions wrong on THIS issue...Glad to see the area where I need to improve..thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri May 05, 2017 5:15 am

you're welcome.