The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
Richie4Par

EPIC VERBAL MELTDOWN!!!!

by Richie4Par Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:44 am

Sat for the GMAT on 3/11. Little embarrassed to post my score here since it seems like most of that post here seemed to be getting in the 700+ range. I ended up getting 640 which doesnt seemed that far fetched from what I was getting on my practice tests. My last 4 pratice tests were in the 640 to 680 range. What was suprising was how I got it. Ever since the first practice exam, my achilles heel had been the quant sections. I spent the better part of the last two weeks trying to brush up my math skills. So I was pretty shocked when I saw my score distribution, Q - 48 / 85%, V - 31 / 60%. In none of my practice exams did I ever do better on the quant section then on the verbal section. I will breakdown my practice exams which will probably explain why I was so dumbfounded with today's results. A little disclaimer with the low initial practice scores, I have been out of school for almost 11 years right now and ditched class all throughout HS and college. Obviously going to Algebra 2 a few more times would of helped.

MGMAT 1: Q - 32 / 35% V - 32 / 67%
MGMAT 2: Q - 35 / 44% V - 34 / 72%
MGMAT 3: Q - 43 / 70% V - 35 / 77%
MGMAT 4: Q - 44 / 73% V - 38 / 85%

GMAT PREP 1: 590
GMAT PREP 2: 660 Q - 45 V - 36 ( Done the day before the test, after 6 hours of studying, started to zone out during the verbal section, there was one rc passage that was a repeat from the green supplement and maybe 2 repeats from the for cr. the sad thing was that i missed 14 questions on the verbal, 10 of those were from the sc section )

The last MGMAT I took, I actually got pretty far behind on the math that I cheated and started hitting the pause button halfway through. During the break, I realized one of the more difficult DS questions wrong, had I spent another 30 seconds I know I would of got it right which probably would of pushed me to 90%.

I was hoping to sit for this exam once, but I am pretty frustrated with how my scores turned out that I will sit for it again next month. So here are some tips I learned along the way for all you MGMAT newbies. Don't get discouraged on the quant section of the MGMAT practice tests, they are way harder then the actual thing. The day before the exam, try and relax and make sure you are well rested. I think another reason for my downfall today was I didn't diagram. Since I was hitting 85% on the harder RC and CR questions without diagramming, it gave me a false sense of security. In my opinion, MGMAT is the best prep course for the GMAT!

will post this on test magic as well
Grumppee

by Grumppee Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:12 pm

Great post! Im in the same boat as you are and was wondering if you could take some time to tell me about your verbal strategies. my math is up in the 40's range but my verbal is lagging majorly. Mid 30's and want to raise it. Would you be so kind if we emailed?

-Oscar

oscar.oscar@gmail.com