Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
elisabetta.portioli
Course Students

Even though vs even if vs although

by elisabetta.portioli Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:59 am

Energized by its new coaching staff, the team already won twice as many games this year as last year, even though several games still remain to be played this year.

a-already won twice as many games this year as did last year, even though
b-has already won twice as many games this year as last year, even if
c-already won twice as many games this year as it did last year, even if
d-has already won twice as many games this year as did last year, even though
e-has already won twice as many games this year as last year, even though
[size=85]
[/size]

This is a sc problem taken from one of the MGMAT's CAT (title: new coaching staff)

The correct answer choice is E. I actually chose B, because 'even though' recalled me of 'although', which is correctly used on the GMAT always at the beginning of the sentence.
Please, I'd like to know more on the correct usage on the GMAT of these three connectors: EVEN THOUGH, ALTHOUGH AND EVEN IF.

Thanks a lot!
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Even though vs even if vs although

by RonPurewal Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:14 am

Hi,
Please post the problem without size tags. Right now the text is so small that I can't even read it.
Thanks.

The correct answer choice is E. I actually chose B, because 'even though' recalled me of 'although', which is correctly used on the GMAT always at the beginning of the sentence.

Where'd you get that idea?

It's perfectly possible to have "although" in a location other than the beginning of a sentence. In fact, there are three problems in OG12 alone where that happens (#19, #35, and #95).

Also, you wrote "on the GMAT", as though the GMAT has its own weird and special brand of English. Be sure not to think that way.
There is no such thing as "GMAT English". It's standard formal written English.
In fact, it's so standard that anything that differs from country to country, or that is in debate, simply isn't tested.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:16 am

Please, I'd like to know more on the correct usage on the GMAT of these three connectors: EVEN THOUGH, ALTHOUGH AND EVEN IF.

"Even though" and "although" are, for all practical purposes, identical.

"Even if" works in the same way grammatically as the other two, but the meaning is different.

* Even though xxxx and Although xxxx imply that xxxx is actually true.
E.g.,
You should come to the party, even though you are sick.
--> You ARE sick. But you should come to the party anyway.

* Even if xxxx implies that xxxx is a hypothetical.
E.g.,
You should come to the party, even if you are sick.
--> You may or may not be sick. But you should come to the party either way.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:16 am

In italiano:
"Although" / "even though" è uguale a "nonostante il fatto che..."
E.g.
Even though you are sick, you should come to the party.
Nonostante il fatto che stai male, dovresti andare alla festa.

"Even if" è uguale a "anche nel caso che..."
E.g.
Even if you are sick, you should come to the party.
Anche nel caso che tu stia male, dovresti andare alla festa.

In English we don't have the difference that exists between "stai" and "stia" (or between "è" and "sia", and so forth -- don't know the terms). So, instead, the difference exists between "even though" and "even if".
elisabetta.portioli
Course Students

by elisabetta.portioli Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:09 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:Hi,
Please post the problem without size tags. Right now the text is so small that I can't even read it.
Thanks.

I've been told the 'although always at the beginning of a sentence on the GMAT ' by one of my MGMAT course instructor... He also told to avoid to pick answer choices in which the word 'being' is there.

It's perfectly possible to have "although" in a location other than the beginning of a sentence. In fact, there are three problems in OG12 alone where that happens (#19, #35, and #95).

Also, you wrote "on the GMAT", as though the GMAT has its own weird and special brand of English. Be sure not to think that way.
In fact, it's so standard that anything that differs from country to country, or that is in debate, simply isn't tested.
elisabetta.portioli
Course Students

by elisabetta.portioli Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:24 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:In italiano:
"Although" / "even though" è uguale a "nonostante il fatto che..."
E.g.
Even though you are sick, you should come to the party.
Nonostante il fatto che stai male, dovresti andare alla festa.

"Even if" è uguale a "anche nel caso che..."
E.g.
Even if you are sick, you should come to the party.
Anche nel caso che tu stia male, dovresti andare alla festa.

In English we don't have the difference that exists between "stai" and "stia" (or between "è" and "sia", and so forth -- don't know the terms). So, instead, the difference exists between "even though" and "even if".

Grazie per la traduzione in italiano, ho capito la differenza meglio. È inutile che ti re-post il SC problem in caratteri più grandi perché ho capito bene lo split delle due risposte in questione.
'È' e 'sia' (vale a dire modo indicativo o congiuntivo) sono legati al tipo di connector nella frase e non tanto al senso che si vuole dare alla frase. 'Nonostante il fatto che' o 'nel caso che' richiedono il congiuntivo ma quasi più per una forma di stile che di mero significato. Infatti, nell'italiano parlato, quei connectors sono utilizzati anche con l'indicativo. Invece in inglese il congiuntivo identifica una tipologia di clause (ipotetica del terzo tipo, mi sembra, non ricordo bene) e cioè un messaggio ben preciso per chi ascolta. Giusto?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:43 am

elisabetta.portioli Wrote:'È' e 'sia' (vale a dire modo indicativo o congiuntivo) sono legati al tipo di connector nella frase e non tanto al senso che si vuole dare alla frase. 'Nonostante il fatto che' o 'nel caso che' richiedono il congiuntivo ma quasi più per una forma di stile che di mero significato.

Capito.
La mia 2a lingua è il (dialetto rioplatense del) spagnolo, in cui la differenza è inerente negli stessi modi. Non sapevo que fossero così distinte le due lingue.

Invece in inglese il congiuntivo identifica una tipologia di clause (ipotetica del terzo tipo, mi sembra, non ricordo bene) e cioè un messaggio ben preciso per chi ascolta. Giusto?

Non conosco e non potrò mai ricordare i termini. Forse puoi darne degli esempi.
elisabetta.portioli
Course Students

by elisabetta.portioli Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:39 am

RonPurewal Wrote:Hi,
Thanks.

I've been told 'the although rule' by one of the on-line course MGMAT instructor. He also told me to discard quite safely any answer choice that contains the word 'being'. Do you agree?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:10 am

elisabetta.portioli Wrote:I've been told 'the although rule' by one of the on-line course MGMAT instructor. He also told me to discard quite safely any answer choice that contains the word 'being'. Do you agree?

Nah.

Look at #101 in OG12 (#100 in OG13).

Also this one:
second-correct-problem-with-being-t1835.html

--

If you see a modifier that starts with "being", then you should be suspicious. In most cases, "being" is unnecessary, and only seems attractive because people would probably say it (if they were speaking aloud).

E.g.
Being a sales manager, Carl enjoys negotiations.
--> Here, "being" is unnecessary.
A sales manager, Carl enjoys negotiations.
--> Better. (Of course, if you imagine the way this sentence sounds, rather than considering it in terms of the written language, then you won't like it.)

Even then, though, it's possible that "being" may be necessary.
I don't know any of the models currently being photographed.
(if I'm standing in the studio watching them as the pictures are taken)
If you'd use essendo fotografati/e rather than just fotografati/e here, it's the same deal.
elisabetta.portioli
Course Students

by elisabetta.portioli Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:38 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
elisabetta.portioli Wrote:I've been told 'the although rule' by one of the on-line course MGMAT instructor. He also told me to discard quite safely any answer choice that contains the word 'being'. Do you agree?

Nah.

Look at #101 in OG12 (#100 in OG13).

Also this one:
second-correct-problem-with-being-t1835.html

--

If you see a modifier that starts with "being", then you should be suspicious. In most cases, "being" is unnecessary, and only seems attractive because people would probably say it (if they were speaking aloud).

E.g.
Being a sales manager, Carl enjoys negotiations.
--> Here, "being" is unnecessary.
A sales manager, Carl enjoys negotiations.
--> Better. (Of course, if you imagine the way this sentence sounds, rather than considering it in terms of the written language, then you won't like it.)

Even then, though, it's possible that "being" may be necessary.
I don't know any of the models currently being photographed.
(if I'm standing in the studio watching them as the pictures are taken)
If you'd use essendo fotografati/e rather than just fotografati/e here, it's the same deal.

Thanks Ron, got it!

So, when BEING + noun or adj (= modifier), 'being' should be omitted.
Ie #1: being happy, John drove back home.
--> Better: happy, John drove back home.
Ie#2: being a fashion designer, Mary admires Mr Armani.
--> Better: a fashion designer, Mary admires Mr Armani.
OR
As a fashion designer, Mary admires Mr Armani.

Instead when BEING + noun or adj (= subj of the clause), 'being' is necessary ( like in OG 12 Ed #101,E).
Ie #3: being a teacher is a hard work.
Ie #4: being patient is not always easy.
elisabetta.portioli
Course Students

by elisabetta.portioli Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:11 am

Also, I forgot to add that BEING is accepted when performs as an helping verb in the passive form. See the thread you linked to me.
(Can't think of BEING as helping verb in the active form! can you?)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:14 am

elisabetta.portioli Wrote:So, when BEING + noun or adj (= modifier), 'being' should be omitted.

Yes, unless you're referring to something that is ongoing in the timeframe of the sentence.

E.g.,
Zoe, being stubborn just to annoy her parents, refused to eat the vegetables.
--> Here, you can't take out "being" without changing the meaning. (Right now, the sentence just says that Zoe was being stubborn at this one point. If you take out "being", you're saying Zoe was a stubborn child in general.)

Ie#2: being a fashion designer, Mary admires Mr Armani.
--> Better: a fashion designer, Mary admires Mr Armani.
OR
As a fashion designer, Mary admires Mr Armani.

All of these sentences imply that Mary is the fashion designer, and that "Mr. Armani" is some random man that she admires. (Could be Armani the designer; could be some random man named Armani.)
If that's what you meant, then, sure.
If you wanted Mr. Armani to be the designer, then, no.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:17 am

Instead when BEING + noun or adj (= subj of the clause), 'being' is necessary ( like in OG 12 Ed #101,E).
Ie #3: being a teacher is a hard work.
Ie #4: being patient is not always easy.

Number 3 would be better written as "Teaching is hard work".

Number 4, sure.
elisabetta.portioli
Course Students

by elisabetta.portioli Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:37 pm

Ron, mi scuso già da adesso perché ti scrivo un post non relazionato all'argomento del thread. Ma non ho altro modo per comunicare con te.
Ho l'esame il 14 di nov e sto valutando di fare delle lezioni private (quant-ps and CR), tu saresti disponibile? Ho sperimentato vari istruttori e tu mi sembri veramente il migliore. Provo a lasciarti di seguito una mia mail, se puoi metterti in contatto con me approfondiamo il discorso della mia GMAT prep. Allora, nome.cognome (li vedi dal nome con cui posto) at quella di google.

Grazie.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:35 am

Certo, ti vado a contattare. Ma sono già fissando appuntamenti tra 3-4 settimane e perciò non so se ne potrò liberare uno prima del 14 nov. "Un bel dì vedremo..."