If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
ShashankR681
Forum Guests

Experts - Please Review My Profile and suggest Bschools

by ShashankR681 Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:43 am

I want to apply for MBA in 2017. I have approximately 10 months to enhance my profile. Want to persue MBA in operation management.
Please suggest which colleges should I target and what can I do to enhance my profile. For ex. joining an NGO would be helpful or not, or any certifications which can enhance my chances of getting into target B School.

Please find my profile here under.

Please evaluate my profile:
Name: Shashank
Citizenship: Indian
10th: 82%
12th: 76%
Under Grad: Mining Machinery Engineering.
(Mechanical engineering with specialization in Mining and construction equipment)
Under grad college: Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad

Qualified IIT - JEE with all India Rank 5121
GPA : 7.2/10
GMAT Score: 710 - Q49 V37 IR7

Work Experience: 4 years 5 Months( July 2011- Present)
Company: Tata Steel Ltd
Designation: Manager - Maintenance
Working in an open pit captive coal mine,
Looking after Maintenanace of Rear Dumpers,
Job responsibilities: inventory management, human and non human resource management, preparing and complying to AOP. Preparing and complying to maintenance plan.
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Experts - Please Review My Profile and suggest Bschools

by mbaMissionKate Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:08 pm

Hi there-
Good for you for thinking ahead!
Your work experience seems very strong -- great that you have management experience, plus I suspect the experience working in a mine requires critical decision making and managing risk. Has all your work / school experience been in India or do you have any international exposure? That could be an area to improve work-wise (if possible :) ) along with gaining more leadership experience.
Your grades seem good, and your GMAT is strong too. If you want to target the very top programs in the US, you might want to consider retaking so that your GMAT is above the median GMAT (which is 720/730 now for most top programs).
Beyond that, adding some "extracurriculars" could help -- they don't need to traditional volunteer / NGO work, they can be other professional or alumni organizations, or even just interesting hobbies. That seems like a good place to improve since you have time.
Also - what are your post-MBA career goals? If not figured out already, then that's an area to clarify and research now. Without knowing that, or other factors that are important to you (e.g., location, size, curriculum, etc.), it's difficult to advise on specific schools.
Feel free to write back with more info!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php