Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
JbhB682
Course Students

Eyestrain, in addition to reading small print or staring at

by JbhB682 Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:11 am

Source : Manhattan CAT

Eyestrain, in addition to reading small print or staring at a computer screen, can result from a faulty or obsolete corrective lens prescription.

(A)Eyestrain, in addition to reading small print or staring at a computer screen, can result from
(B)Eyestrain can result from reading small print, from staring at a computer screen, or from using
(C)Eyestrain can result not only from reading small print and staring at a computer screen, but also
(D)Eyestrain can result from reading small print, staring at a computer screen, as well as
(E)Eyestrain may result in reading small print, staring at a computer screen, or in the use of

OA : B
JbhB682
Course Students

Re: Eyestrain, in addition to reading small print or staring at

by JbhB682 Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:29 am

On B - two quick questions.

Q1) When you have a list of 3 or more items -- can the items be connected by "OR" ?

I know 3 or 4 items can be connected by "AND" but I was not sure about "OR"

Q2) I thought with B - while the X, Y, and Z elements were parallel, the core of the sentence made no sense

Core of option B : Eyestrain can result X,Y,or Z = this sentence cannot be correct

X = from reading...
Y= from staring...
Z = from using.....
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:12 pm

JbhB682 Wrote:On B - two quick questions.

Q1) When you have a list of 3 or more items -- can the items be connected by "OR" ?

I know 3 or 4 items can be connected by "AND" but I was not sure about "OR"
Yes, you can have 3 or more "or" options. He will arrive on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday, but his exact arrival time depends on the weather and the modified train schedule.

JbhB682 Wrote:Q2) I thought with B - while the X, Y, and Z elements were parallel, the core of the sentence made no sense

Core of option B : Eyestrain can result X,Y,or Z = this sentence cannot be correct

X = from reading...
Y= from staring...
Z = from using.....
Careful! The root phrase doesn't have to "stand alone" and make sense. It just has to make sense with each of the X, Y, or Z endings. This one does, because each of these sentences is correct:
Eyestrain can result from reading small print.
Eyestrain can result from staring at a ... screen.
Eyestrain can result from using a faulty ... prescription.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:39 pm

Hi Emily, in a series of 3 or 4 lists in parallelism, you have to end the list with and" and "or" obvously.

Can you have those series of connections ending with But / Yet instead as well ? For example ..

examples with BUT

a) I like to eat, sleep, BUT not Run
b)I like Mcdonalds, KFC, BUT not Pizza Hut
c) The company sold X,sold Y, BUT will buyback both later

(I dont think the word "not" or "will" after the BUT will affect the parallelism)

example with Yet

a) I am dieting, gyming, YET not losing weight.

(I dont think the word "Not" before losing is an issue for parallelism but feel free to let me know your thoughts)
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:31 am

You are right that the "not" doesn't mess up parallelism. However, the comma "but" and comma "yet" require a full clause afterward, so the parallelism will be like this: (Whole clause), but (whole clause).

Here are the correct versions of your examples:
a) I like to eat and sleep, BUT I do not like to run.
b) I like McDonalds and KFC, BUT I do not like Pizza Hut.
c) The company sold X and Y, BUT will buy back both later.
d) I am dieting and going to the gym, YET I am not losing weight.

First, note that these are not lists of three. They are lists of two (so no comma between eat and sleep, for example) that are contrasted with the list of one other thing (run, for example).

In a), b), and d), I think the "not" forces you to repeat the "I am" (in d) or the "I do...like" (in a and b), even though you are not changing the subject from the first clause to the second. In c), you do not have to repeat "the company," which is the root phrase, because both "sold" and "will buy back" are parallel elements that logically follow that subject.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT