Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
Tadashi
Forum Guests

Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupass

by Tadashi Sun May 25, 2014 11:51 pm

Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate.

A.Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate.

B.Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of how he famously and masterfully uses irony, evident in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.

C.Famed for using irony in a masterful way, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author slowly revealing a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.

D.Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author's famed and masterful use of irony, evidenced in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.

E.Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because he slowly revealed a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece, demonstrating his famed and masterful use of irony.

OA: D

After retaking MGMAT SC problem sets in question banks, I still did 30% of them wrong. That made me really really sad.

I have some question about B & the OA D.
When I did the problem, I was distracted by "because of how he famously and masterfully uses irony, evident in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece." in B and "because of the author's famed and masterful use of irony, evidenced in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece." in D.

Actually, I spent a couple of minutes trying to tell the differences between them but in vain.

Now I know the pronoun "he" in B is wrong here.

Question 1: But, can we say " because of + how / what / where+ sentence" in GMAT?

&Question 2: what's the differences between "noun, adj. XXX" & "noun, verd-ed XXX "

I know that verd-ed XXX here modifies the noun, conveying a idea that the noun was verb-ed XXX.

DOMO ARIGATO
Tadashi.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupass

by RonPurewal Fri May 30, 2014 1:35 am

Tadashi Wrote:Question 1: But, can we say " because of + how / what / where+ sentence" in GMAT?

If you see this sort of thing, I bet there will be a smoother alternative.
e.g., because of how she sang "”> because of her singing

You should only use this kind of thing for elimination if you just don't see anything else.

&Question 2: what's the differences between "noun, adj. XXX" & "noun, verd-ed XXX "

There's not going to be a general answer to this question. (Both of these modifiers can modify nouns.)