Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
EmmaL654
Course Students

FoM P75 Q30

by EmmaL654 Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:07 am

I am more confused with the meaning of the question than the math. The Question says: “14 and 3 divide evenly into n.”

How does the grammar work here? To me, it looks like 14 and 3 can be divided "into" something and "n"... and the word "evenly" makes it more confusing to me: I tend to think "evenly" in a way like "each portion is of the same number"...

Apparently I am not a native speaker. Just a bit worried as I don't know how to work on such grammatical/wording issues.

Thanks.
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: FoM P75 Q30

by esledge Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:55 pm

EmmaL654 Wrote:I am more confused with the meaning of the question than the math. The Question says: “14 and 3 divide evenly into n.”

How does the grammar work here? To me, it looks like 14 and 3 can be divided "into" something and "n"... and the word "evenly" makes it more confusing to me: I tend to think "evenly" in a way like "each portion is of the same number"...
Hi Emma,
“14 and 3 divide evenly into n" means that n/14 is an integer and n/3 is an integer, but those integers don't have to be the same number! (In fact, they never would be, unless n = 0.)
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT