Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Garnet and RenCo each provide health care for their employee

by RonPurewal Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:26 pm

RitikK630 Wrote:By this logic even option E can be debated.
If the average length of time an employee stays with RenCo is less than it is with Garnet but not significantly less, then also it should consider adopting such a policy.
For instance if we say that the average length of time employee stays with Renco is 49 years while that of Garnet is 50 years. then it does not make much sense for Renco to not adopt such policy.

you just made up those red things, completely out of nowhere, with no justification at all—and they are obviously EXTREME examples THAT VIOLATE THE INTENT OF THE ANSWER CHOICE.

hopefully it's quite obvious why you can't just make up random things and then "argue" from them... let alone things that clearly don't align with the point of the choice!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:27 pm

if RenCo’s employees are unlikely to have higher cholesterol levels than Garnet’s employees i.e. Renco's employees seldom have high cholesterol levels

^^ you just "translated" that statement into something COMPLETELY different.

"unlikely to be higher" just means that the two groups probably have similar levels. in that case, any policy that makes sense for one company would also make sense for the other one.
thus, this choice actually makes it seem that Renco DOES have an incentive to adopt the policy.
RitikK630
Students

by RitikK630 Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:42 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
RitikK630 Wrote:By this logic even option E can be debated.
If the average length of time an employee stays with RenCo is less than it is with Garnet but not significantly less, then also it should consider adopting such a policy.
For instance if we say that the average length of time employee stays with Renco is 49 years while that of Garnet is 50 years. then it does not make much sense for Renco to not adopt such policy.

you just made up those red things, completely out of nowhere, with no justification at all—and they are obviously EXTREME examples THAT VIOLATE THE INTENT OF THE ANSWER CHOICE.

hopefully it's quite obvious why you can't just make up random things and then "argue" from them... let alone things that clearly don't align with the point of the choice!

Hi Ron,

I might have used some extreme case here. But isn't that the whole point. To cover as many cases as possible and be sure of the correct answer.

As per choice E
E. the average length of time an employee stays with RenCo is less than it is with Garnet
Here it only says less than, so I assumed a case where average length of employee staying with Renco is just a little less than with Garnet. Thats the reason I took above examples of 49 years and 50 years.

Also, as per choice D
RenCo’s employees are unlikely to have higher cholesterol levels than Garnet’s employees
I simply assumed that Renco's employees will have cholesterol levels lower than or equal to that of Garnet's employees.
If the levels are equal then the point you are making makes sense because the two companies then are similar. Thus this is neutral to the argument.
But what if the levels are lower for Renco's employees as compared to cholesterol levels for Garnet's employees. How to counter this ?
Here I assumed that because the levels are lower it should not make much sense for Renco to adopt the policy mentioned and hence selected D as the answer. Am I going wrong here?

Is it wrong making such an assumption in mathematical terms ?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:31 am

okay... one of the biggest priorities of CR is to see whether you can apply everyday common sense to these passages.
you know that, right?

you need to think about the things you're saying here through the lens of ordinary, everyday common sense.

like this...

Here it only says less than, so I assumed a case where average length of employee staying with Renco is just a little less than with Garnet. Thats the reason I took above examples of 49 years and 50 years.

by doing this ^^ you are obviously violating the intent and spirit of this answer choice.

analogy:
if i say something like
daniel is 22 and is open to the idea of getting married, but he hasn't found any woman who's serious enough about relationships. do you think he'd find someone more easily if he were older?
...common sense here:
when i say "if he were older", that obviously doesn't mean "what if he were 23 instead of 22?" -- and, if this were an actual conversation, people would think you were literally crazy if that's the example you used for "older".
it's just ... understood that i mean something like "if he were 30 or 35".

same thing here -- in any REASONABLE, PRACTICAL, real-world interpretation, 49 years and 50 years are basically equivalent timeframes.
...a 49-year-old and a 50-year-old are, for PRACTICAL purposes, THE SAME AGE.
...a 19-year marriage and a 20-year marriage are, for PRACTICAL purposes, marriages of the SAME length.
...an annual salary of $95,000 and an annual salary of $100,000 are, for PRACTICAL purposes, basically indistinguishable.

if you were going to pick a common-sense example of "employees stay with one company for less time than with the other company", you'd pick something like, say, 10 years and 25 years.
...or some other SIGNIFICANT difference.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:35 am

But what if the levels are lower for Renco's employees as compared to cholesterol levels for Garnet's employees. How to counter this ?

again... common-sense interpretation.

if i say something like "Liquor drinkers don't die any earlier than non-drinkers", then... just think about that with ordinary common sense: it means that the life expectancies are about the same.
there's no REASON to think that liquor drinkers would actually live longer... so, that's not what the words mean.

remember, THE ENTIRE POINT of the verbal section is to test your ability to apply everyday HUMAN reasoning to these situations. if you treat these problems like quant problems, you WILL NOT be able to solve them.
RitikK630
Students

by RitikK630 Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:49 pm

Thanks for the amazing responses Ron !!

I will surely follow these in future. Truly appreciate your efforts :)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:52 am

you're welcome.
SHOUMODIPR218
Students

by SHOUMODIPR218 Fri May 19, 2017 1:49 am

Hi Ron

I marked Option C,
Reason : RenCo has significantly more employees than Garner => RenCO wont be able to provie such a incentive. => Renco would have to bear huge med costs.

However, After reading the forum I believe I understood that the conclusion was:
Untreated Cholesterol levels in long run => Expensive treatment in future. So the scope of duration of stay is all that stimulates provision of such an incentive as that is provided by Garner.

Only option E deals with the above correlation.
Could you please confirm that the above reasoning is properly aligned towards correct way of solving CR.?

Regards
Shoum

Also I realized a very important IDEA from the old posts.
Generally in DS questions, We find the cases wherein either of Statement A/B stands false in order to determine the universality of the scope of Statements and thereby to chose right answer.
But in CR, we need to look for practical cases rather than extreme situations to determine whether the statements holds true.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri May 19, 2017 6:30 pm

it's clear that both the costs and the potential savings will scale according to the number of employees, so, company size (choice C) is irrelevant.

So the scope of duration of stay is all that stimulates provision of such an incentive as that is provided by Garner.

i think you have the right idea here—but it's hard to be sure, because you're using so many unnecessary big words that it's difficult to understand what you're trying to say.
remember—you should be able to explain these issues in words that a 10-year-old would understand.

here's an explanation of the main issue here, in appropriately simple language:
"We know that 'G' saves money by paying for insurance. They're saying that paying for the SAME insurance WON'T save 'R' money. So, we need a concrete reason why the insurance will offer MORE savings to 'G' than to 'R'."
if we read the description carefully, we can see that the savings only materialize after "many years". so, if the company's employees don't stay there for "many years" then the insurance becomes a losing proposition.
SHOUMODIPR218
Students

by SHOUMODIPR218 Sat May 20, 2017 3:15 am

Thanks Ron...
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon May 22, 2017 9:42 am

you're welcome.