Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
condenach

General doubt

by condenach Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:34 pm

When we have a sentence that starts with 2 singular subjetcs (F.E: The skill and precision of ......) then the verb of the sentence must go in singular or plural?... (is /are evidenced in ......).

Sorry about the question because I know it is a quite simple one, but obviously I´m not a native English speaker so an acclaration about this will help me a lot. I think we should use the plural "are" but I´m not completely sure.

Another grammatical doubt I have is when to use "like" and when to use "as". Could you give some examples?
I think we use "like" when comparing 2 nouns, and "as" when comparing 2 other things different than nouns, but again still not sure.

Thanks
condenach

Like VS As already answered

by condenach Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:38 pm

Forget about the LIKE VS AS part, it is just answered by Stacey in the post bellow. Thanks
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:12 pm

For the first part - if you use "and" to connect the two nouns, then you "count" both nouns towards the subject and it is plural. If you use anything else, then you can "count" only one noun towards the subject and which one you count depends upon the set-up of the sentence. The only way to count two nouns towards the subject is to use the word "and" between the nouns.

For example:
The cat and the dog are running around outside.
The cat, along with the dog, is running around outside. (here we count only the first noun, "cat")

With neither/nor or either/or, you use the noun closest to the verb:
Neither the cat nor the dogs are running around outside.
Neither the dogs nor the cat is running around outside.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep