Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.

Given the ascending set of positive integers {a, b, c, d, e

by Guest Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:50 am

Had a question with the following problem- the answer listed was C, but I get B:

Given the ascending set of positive integers {a, b, c, d, e, f}, is the median greater than the mean?

(1) a + e = (3/4)(c + d)

(2) b + f = (7/8)(c + d)

As the explanation states, the question is essentially asking: Is 2(c+d) > a + b + e + f?

With Statement 2, we can substitute for b + f and rephrase the question as: Is (9/8)(c+d) > a + e?

This was said to be insufficient as e could be really large or small compared to the other numbers.

The problem with that explanation is that we know that b > a and f > e because the set of numbers is said to be ascending. So b + f > a + e and, using Statement 2, (7/8)(c+d) > a + e. If a + e is less than 7/8 of c + d, then it must also be less than 9/8 of c + d, since c and d are both positive. So it seems like the answer should be B. Is there something I am missing? Thanks.
ayang
ManhattanGMAT Staff

error

by ayang Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:26 pm

Thanks for your post! You are indeed right - we had made an error in the question. We have fixed the coefficient in statement (2) to ensure that the result is insufficient, and have verified the result with a little bit of legwork.

We are always trying to improve our materials, and we really appreciate your helping us find errors in our database of questions. Please email me directly (Andrew@manhattangmat.com) as we’d like to send you a thank-you.

Best, - Andrew
shaji

Re: error

by shaji Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:51 am

"guest' was indeed wrong and the listed anser of of C is correct. guest has misrepresented statement 2 and hence the confusion.

ayang Wrote:Thanks for your post! You are indeed right - we had made an error in the question. We have fixed the coefficient in statement (2) to ensure that the result is insufficient, and have verified the result with a little bit of legwork.

We are always trying to improve our materials, and we really appreciate your helping us find errors in our database of questions. Please email me directly (Andrew@manhattangmat.com) as we’d like to send you a thank-you.

Best, - Andrew
shaji

Re: error

by shaji Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:02 am

the guest was correct as stated. I did not otice the correction in the co-efficient of statement 2 that yang did make later.Sorry for the inconvenience!!!!

shaji Wrote:"guest' was indeed wrong and the listed anser of of C is correct. guest has misrepresented statement 2 and hence the confusion.

ayang Wrote:Thanks for your post! You are indeed right - we had made an error in the question. We have fixed the coefficient in statement (2) to ensure that the result is insufficient, and have verified the result with a little bit of legwork.

Best, - Andrew