The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
beakdas
Students

GMAT 2nd Attempt

by beakdas Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:35 am

My battle with the GMAT started in the month of October'13.I enrolled myself in one of many coaching institutes that feed on candidates insecurity and fear regarding the examination.

I have never really been any good a aptitude test.Sure, give me a set syllabus for an exam with higher level topics and i get the most of it.But, competitive exams have been my achilles heel.

My first attempt on the gmat got me a disappointing 490.
This was far lower than what i achieved on the practice tests ( usually in the early to mid 600 range).

I couldn't follow the gmat for a month and half and resumed studies post first week of Jan'14.
My progress this time was more comforting as i was hovering in the later 600 range in all my gmat prep tests.
While, struggling to cross 650 on the manhattan tests.

I took the gmat yesterday with a score of 620(q 48, v 27) the irony lies in the fact that my verbal score dipped far too much in the actual exam than compared to my practice tests.

I am in my final year of graduation.So i am looking forward to an MBA program maybe 2 years from now.Other parts of application are in baby stages as i would start working from the month of August'14.

My concern lies here my improvement though substantial from 490- 620 has failed to impress me that i am ready for a top- b school.

I plan to the test again but in a couple of months as i believe i have reached my saturation point and i need to take care of my graduation and then job prospect.

Is it ill advisable to take the gmat again? if not, what sort of work should be put into to jump the score from 620 to a 720 ( that's my target score for the next attempt) do i start from scratch or do i intensively strategise my verbal so that my score ranges from late 30s to early 40s

Thanks