The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
SalikA639
Students

GMAT 640 then 590, stuck!need help

by SalikA639 Mon May 23, 2016 8:47 am

hello,
So this is my story, I gave my GMAT the first time a couple of months ago, I couldn't keep up with my prep plan, since I work full time, in fact during the last few days before my test day I gave up studying and to take the attempt to familiarize myself with the difficulty level, environment etc. I wouldn't say I had not prepared but it was not a build up that you would usually get to hear from people going for GMAT. Anyway, so the first casual attempt got 640; Q=41 (48 perc) and V=36 (80 perc) with 9 in analytical essay and a shameful 0 in integrated reasoning (neither did I practice IR nor did I care much about it during the exam). I wanted to apply to Ivy league universities or at least top 20 in the world and that would clearly require me to score something around 700 (and a little more than 0 in IR).

So I had my second attempt today, I worked harder this time around I was more consistent, covered more material and took two practice tests(with scores of 590 and 560 in sequence) as compared to 0 practice test before first attempt. And lo and behold! I scored 590! I cancelled my score because it was farther from what I wanted. As far as I can remember, I scored v=31 (71 perc)and Q=38 (40 perc), the only positive was I had 7 in IR which was 81 percentile.

What would you guys suggest I do now? I tried harder, fell harder. I cant just go ahead with 640 and a zero in IR and expect to get an admission. Even if I did not have 0 in IR, 640 wouldn't have been enough because I would have 3 years of experience by August, a gold medal in my BS(computer sciences) with a not so fancy cgpa of 3.4 . And if it matters I am from Pakistan.

Would really appreciate any advice!

Regards