If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
PaulineC776
Course Students

GMAT 690 - Possible to get into Top 4?

by PaulineC776 Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:39 pm

Hi there,

Would really appreciate your advice on below. Thanks a lot!

Profile:
Origin: Hong Kong

Undergrad: Top Business Program in Hong Kong (Admits less than 30 per year; admission as difficult as med school in HK); exchange scholarship granted to UBC, Canada
GPA: 3.2 in HK; 80% in Canada (Accounting Program A+)

Undergrad ECA: Representative of HKU and awarded championship in a number of local and international business case competitions (in US & New Zealand); Dance team & founded dance crew, People Development Officer at leadership program
*low GPA in undergrad program can also be explained by having 2 full-day part-time jobs + 10 hour tutoring job per week

GMAT: 690 (Q: 48; V: 36; IR: 8; AWA - awaiting)
CFA Level 3 Candidate 2016

Work exp: 6+
Background: First 4 years at Top US ibank. Started off with operational background, completed a major initiative then move onto a project lead role and responsible for building out team in India. Upon succession, moved onto Client Service role for Prime Brokerage.
Next 1.5 years at Top US Asset Management firm. Decided to pursue Asset & Wealth Management, stepped out of comfort zone and made a bold move. Sales experience facing high net worth corporate clients & also HNW end clients.

ECA: Dragon boat team veteran, leader of land training; Dancing - founded dance crew and continued choreographing with international performance experience; Running - completed 10km charity run; Asian cuisine and wine - wine test level 1, completed cuisine classes in 4 Asian countries

Community work: Service trip at Cambodia; 300km Bike-a-thon in Taiwan to raise funds for refugees; leader for annual Community Teamwork Initiative for top ibank every year

Postgrad goal: Impact Investing, High Net Worth private clients Philanthropy-related

Initially I was planning on applying to HBS, Stanford, Wharton & Columbia.
Upon receiving my score yesterday I really hesitated whether I would make the cut into HBS.
I will retake GMAT in early Jan, hopefully my score will improve for my application to Stanford.

As of now, Columbia is a must go as it's also highly related to my industry right now (a no. of research professor joined my company).

I was wondering whether I should give it a go at HBS as it's really my top top top dream school. I can let go of Stanford but it's really difficult to let go of HBS.
My question: if I ever get improvement of my score (>730), should I apply for R3? or wait for one more year for R1 2016? or to apply now for R2?

Thanks a lot! I've been struggling and couldn't get to sleep.
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: GMAT 690 - Possible to get into Top 4?

by mbamissionjenK Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for posting. You do have a lot to bring to a class in terms of professional experience, quantitative skills, and involvement. In terms of 690, it's tough to say... all of those schools accept SOME people at that score range, but obviously the bulk of the class has much higher scores so it's not impossible but quite tough. Stanford will be even tougher than HBS, both overall statistically and in terms of average GMAT, food for thought. If you don't want to regret NOT applying then give it a shot though if you have the time to put forth a good effort. If you re-took and nailed it, and missed R2 I'd aim for R1 next year if that is an option! Keep us posted on how we can help, either here or via a free consult at any point. Good luck to you!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
PaulineC776
Course Students

by PaulineC776 Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:58 pm

Thanks a lot Jen!

Does that mean even I got an improved score (e.g. 730ish), I still wouldn't have good chance to get into Stanford?
I do realize they put less emphasis on big company names and more on community involvement and social impact.

Stanford is the only school which has deadline post Jan 7/8 (my earliest retake date).

If the odds' gonna be low, I'd focus on my essays for other schools, give up Stanford, and retake GMAT probably in mid Jan. Hopefully by then I gonna nail it.

Appreciate your thoughts on this! :)

Merry Christmas!
Pauline
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:36 am

Hi Pauline,

I wouldn't say NO chance at Stanford if you got a 730+.... it would be closer to your reach then ;) , just still have to acknowledge that it's quite tough for even the most competitive applicants. I would base the re-take timing on your past GMAT performance too-- if you had higher practice test scores I'd say re-take the sooner the better; if not then more time might help. Lots to think about I know! Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php