Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
JamieE899
Students

GMAT in 2 weeks - should I reschedule? Advice please

by JamieE899 Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:52 am

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice/input on whether it's best for me to take my scheduled GMAT exam on Nov 16th (in roughly 2 weeks) even though I haven't finished my prep or if I should reschedule to December.

I started my study plan in middle August 2017 and was initially studying about 2-3hrs on weeknights and 5hrs on weekends. I ended up falling way behind as some of the study-load took me longer than expected and felt I was always playing catch up. More recently, I wasn't able to study at all for 3 consecutive weeks due to work & personal commitments.

That being said, I don't feel prepared to sit the exam in 2 weeks. I completed the Manhattan Prep Foundations of Math book but haven't gotten to the Advanced Quant book or Foundations of Verbal books yet. As I'm working full-time (and often overtime), I know 2 weeks is not enough time to get up to speed.

I've practiced some questions (Quant & Verbal) from the OG but have not yet done a full practice test - (have access to the Manhattan CATs & PowerPrep). I also still have to study the IR section and write a practice Essay. I would like to study full time on weeknights and then more time on the weekends - however - strict deadlines have been set at work for the SAME week of my GMAT - (week ending Nov 17) as well as the rest of Nov & 1st week in December (REALLY bad timing :( ) adding to my stress & time constraints.

My initial plan when scheduling my exam was to have the opportunity to take it twice (once in November & again in December) before applying for Round 2 (earliest application deadline is 1st week of January). My target score is at minimum 650 but ideally 700, however, I'm still getting some easy questions wrong in Quant. My Verbal is generally stronger except for RC where I need more work. I was doing fairly well on hard SC & CR but overall my pacing is way off what it should be for both Quant & Verbal.

I'm therefore unsure if I should stick with Nov16th exam and use it as a trial to see how I do with little prep or reschedule to December 7th or 14th (which are the only 2 dates available in December at my test centre). My issue with this is that I will only have 1 shot to write the exam as there would be no option for a retake before January.

Looking forward to any advice please...:?

Thank you.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: GMAT in 2 weeks - should I reschedule? Advice please

by StaceyKoprince Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:23 pm

From what you have described, you are probably* not ready to take the exam. If you don't mind spending the $250 just to see what the testing experience is like, then you can keep your Nov 16th test date and think of it as a pure dry run. Having that experience can help you to be less nervous the second time (and that can sometimes help your performance).

*Note: The only way to know for sure is to take a practice test and see how you do. Do that this weekend—don't put it off! Take the test under 100% official conditions, including the two 8-min breaks (after IR and quant in order #1 or after the Q and V sections in orders 2 or 3). Take it at the same time of day that you plan to take the real test.

My bigger concern is that you describe circumstances that are not going to be alleviated any time soon—so I'm worried about your ability to reach your goal even in Dec—not just the GMAT but the rest of your applications, too.

Some things to think about:
— Do you absolutely want to apply to b-school 2nd round? Would it be better, at this stage, to wait until 3rd round or to postpone until next year? (While it is generally considered best to submit 1st or 2nd round, submitting a sub-par 2nd-round app is worse than submitting a really good 3rd-round app. If your work craziness right now means that you can't put together the best possible app in all respects, not just your GMAT score, then you may want to wait.)

— If you are willing to consider postponing, do yourself the favor and postpone. Things are really stressful right now—adding GMAT + apps on top of that will pull you in a million directions and make it likely that you do none of it very well. (If you're worried about what people who know your plans will think, tell them exactly why: Work is too crazy to consider sticking with 2nd round this year. That's a perfectly acceptable reason!)

— If you are dead-set on applying 2nd round, then you are going to have to figure out how to carve out more time—and, from what you've described, it sounds like that will have to include telling work that you need to reduce your commitments. If your reaction to this is, "There's absolutely no way I can do that," then see bullet #2 above. I'm spelling this out because we have a tendency to think we have to do it all—but you really don't. There are trade-offs for every decision, of course, but don't just push yourself (and drive yourself crazy) because this was "the plan." Circumstances have changed; allow yourself to make decisions accordingly.

Let us know if you want to discuss anything else (and let us know what you decide to do!).
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
JamieE899
Students

by JamieE899 Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:24 pm

StaceyKoprince Wrote:From what you have described, you are probably* not ready to take the exam. If you don't mind spending the $250 just to see what the testing experience is like, then you can keep your Nov 16th test date and think of it as a pure dry run. Having that experience can help you to be less nervous the second time (and that can sometimes help your performance).

*Note: The only way to know for sure is to take a practice test and see how you do. Do that this weekend—don't put it off! Take the test under 100% official conditions, including the two 8-min breaks (after IR and quant in order #1 or after the Q and V sections in orders 2 or 3). Take it at the same time of day that you plan to take the real test.

My bigger concern is that you describe circumstances that are not going to be alleviated any time soon—so I'm worried about your ability to reach your goal even in Dec—not just the GMAT but the rest of your applications, too.

Some things to think about:
— Do you absolutely want to apply to b-school 2nd round? Would it be better, at this stage, to wait until 3rd round or to postpone until next year? (While it is generally considered best to submit 1st or 2nd round, submitting a sub-par 2nd-round app is worse than submitting a really good 3rd-round app. If your work craziness right now means that you can't put together the best possible app in all respects, not just your GMAT score, then you may want to wait.)

— If you are willing to consider postponing, do yourself the favor and postpone. Things are really stressful right now—adding GMAT + apps on top of that will pull you in a million directions and make it likely that you do none of it very well. (If you're worried about what people who know your plans will think, tell them exactly why: Work is too crazy to consider sticking with 2nd round this year. That's a perfectly acceptable reason!)

— If you are dead-set on applying 2nd round, then you are going to have to figure out how to carve out more time—and, from what you've described, it sounds like that will have to include telling work that you need to reduce your commitments. If your reaction to this is, "There's absolutely no way I can do that," then see bullet #2 above. I'm spelling this out because we have a tendency to think we have to do it all—but you really don't. There are trade-offs for every decision, of course, but don't just push yourself (and drive yourself crazy) because this was "the plan." Circumstances have changed; allow yourself to make decisions accordingly.

Let us know if you want to discuss anything else (and let us know what you decide to do!).

Hi Stacey,

Thanks so much for your reply and advice. I did go ahead and reschedule the exam to December 14th and will be taking a CAT on Saturday to gauge where I'm at (will write back here with my score).

With respect to postponing my applications - from my research, readings, hearing admissions consultants etc., it's my understanding that applying round 3 or later when coming from an over-represented pool (fin. services/consulting) rather than a non-traditional background is almost futile as the chances of being accepted then is very slim. What are your thoughts on this?

Also given that the majority of aid/scholarships are awarded during the first two rounds, I really would like to apply then to increase my chances of acceptance and scholarships. I did consider postponing to round 3 given my current situation but ideally, I don't want to have to do that. That being said, my GMAT score will likely dictate that as well (if I need to retake then round two will not be possible :? )

You're right in that things are very stressful right now and will likely be until Jan/Feb. Unfortunately, I'm not able to reduce my work commitments in order to carve out extra time (in fact I'm probably going to get more assignments). I'm trying to study on evenings as much as I can and on the weekends but I need guidance in terms of how to prioritize what's left for me to study. Should I be focusing on the learning all the rest of the content or once I've covered the 'most common' topics, I should just focus on doing practice questions/tests? Any advice on this would be great :)

Thanks again!
JamieE899
Students

by JamieE899 Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:43 pm

[size=85]
StaceyKoprince Wrote:*Note: The only way to know for sure is to take a practice test and see how you do. Do that this weekend—don't put it off! Take the test under 100% official conditions, including the two 8-min breaks (after IR and quant in order #1 or after the Q and V sections in orders 2 or 3). Take it at the same time of day that you plan to take the real test.

Hi Stacey,

I took my first CAT yesterday under official test conditions. I chose Quant, Verbal, IR, Essay, did all 4 sections and took both 8 minute breaks. I scored 450 V36,Q15.

As I had previously mentioned, Quant is my weaker section of the test but when I've been practicing questions, I was getting most correct (untimed). During this test, the timer really had me panicking and as I was going through the section, felt very stressed and frustrated because my timing was way off. I wasn't thinking clearly even on some very easy questions that I knew how to do. I was about 10mins behind schedule at question #10 and by the 25th question, I had to more or less skim through the remaining questions and guess (mostly randomly) or try to solve it very quickly. I felt really upset after this section and was trying not to take my negative thoughts and energy over to the Verbal (was not successful). That being said, I will do my next CAT with Verbal first and see how I feel or if it sets a better tone.

I'm a bit stumped on how to move forward with my Quant studies - I haven't yet studied all of the content and haven't done as many practice questions. So I'm thinking to focus mostly on practice questions in the 5.5 weeks I have left rather than studying all of the content and mastering none. I would really appreciate any advice you may have on this approach.

I analyzed my MGMAT Assessment Report (using your article) and I had 14 questions in the 'too fast' category (majority of which were the last 12-13 questions that I had to fly through), 4 in 'warning track' and 12 in 'way too slow.' I had 6 in the normal time range. Evidently, I have a major timing problem and I'm unsure how to resolve it to improve my score. I read one of your articles that mentioned letting go of the too hard questions, but my struggle is how do I know which questions are too hard? And what if the majority or all feel too hard and then I'm guessing my way through the exam?

Below is my Overall Quant Summary:
PS 7/22
Avg. Time Correct 1.16
Avg. Time Incorrect 2.12
Avg. Dff. Correct 510
Avg. Diff. Incorrect 600

DS 4/15
Avg. Time Correct 3.21
Avg. Time Incorrect 1.58
Avg. Dff. Correct 700
Avg. Diff. Incorrect 620

With respect to Verbal, I was running out of time as well but not as much as with Quant. i had 4 in the 'too fast' category (3 in CR toward the end, 1 in SC), 8 in 'warning track' (1 CR, 2 SC, 4 RC General, 1 RC specific) and 2 in "way too slow". (1 CR, 1 SC). I had 26 in the normal time range.

I was taken aback that the question types were mixed together (I thought all SC were together, all CR, all RC etc. - wouldn't that be nice! :) ). I feel more confident about being able to improve this score in the time that I have but really need to figure out how to boost my Quant.

Also, when should I target to take my next CAT based on this? I have about 5.5 weeks left and was planning to do one per week until the exam.

Below is my Overall Verbal Summary:
SC 10/15 (last question blank as ran out of time)
Avg. Time Correct 1.19
Avg. Time Incorrect 1.47
Avg. Dff. Correct 720
Avg. Diff. Incorrect 750

CR 7/14
Avg. Time Correct 1.49
Avg. Time Incorrect 1.51
Avg. Dff. Correct 680
Avg. Diff. Incorrect 750

RC 8/12
Avg. Time Correct 2.41
Avg. Time Incorrect 1.53
Avg. Dff. Correct 740
Avg. Diff. Incorrect 730

Looking forward to your feedback.
Thanks Stacey!
[/size]
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:36 pm

Okay, we're going to go for it for round 2!

If it's the case that you don't get the score that you want, you could also push admissions for a year. Get the GMAT done this winter and then hit round 1 or 2 next year. (Maybe not what you want—to wait a year—but, hey, most things in life don't happen exactly when / how we first planned. Not a disaster. Just life.) But don't need to think about that now. Let's go for it.

I'm impressed that you were able to keep your verbal score up at 36 even with the rough quant section. I'd say your goal here is to get yourself to 40+ by the real test.

Your quant score was significantly deflated just due to your timing problems—as you said, there were questions you could have answered but couldn't because you were so stressed and you were having to rush so much.

Let's start with the stress / panic as the clock is ticking. (And, hey, this will help with all of the other stressors in life, too!)
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... mat-score/

The above article links to some free resources from UCLA. There's also this program:
http://www.10percenthappier.com/mindful ... he-basics/
It has a free 1-week trial and is then paid, but I've had several students who have really liked it, so that's another option.

what if the majority or all feel too hard and then I'm guessing my way through the exam?

When you guess / get a few wrong, the test will respond by giving you easier questions. So the way the test works literally means that you are *not* going to keep seeing "too-hard" questions!

Ideally, this is what you want to happen:
– I'm not making careless mistakes, and I'm getting the points that I know how to get.
– The test says, oh yeah, can you do this?
– Nope, I can't. That one's too hard. I guess and move on.
– The test moves me back into the level that I can do.
– It keeps doing the above cycle.
– I don't massively mess up my timing by getting sucked into stuff that I can't do or that I can't do in a reasonable amount of time, so I'm able to maintain my "level" through the end of the section.
– I get the score that I want. :)

In other words, you want to keep bumping up against that ceiling—you want the test to give you stuff that you can't do. That's how you know you're performing at your peak. And then you want to react appropriately: back away from that peak and spend that time and mental energy elsewhere.

how do I know which questions are too hard?

You study this just like you study everything else. :) Go back over that test you just did. Which ones did you miss just because you messed up the timing or made a careless mistake? Prioritize those.

Which ones did you legitimately miss, but they're fine for you now—either you've figured it out or you've looked at the solution and it makes total sense? Practice those.

Which ones did you legitimately miss, and the explanation seems like gobbledy-gook? Or maybe you sort of understand it but it would take really long or you're not sure you could remember or execute on that solution? These are the ones that are too hard for you. Start keeping a list of the characteristics that signal "too hard" for you.

On quant, prioritize these things:
(1) Things that are more commonly tested. https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 24222.html
(2) Things that are easier for you to learn. Figure this out from your test analyses.

Use this article to help you analyze your CAT in (great) detail:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... ts-part-1/

Prioritize bucket 2. (You'll understand what that means after you read the above.)

Note: For your non-bucket-1 items, do NOT put almost everything in bucket 2 and almost nothing in bucket 3. Think of this as a 2-week timeframe: What things do you want to prioritize first, in the next 2 weeks? What is most likely to pay off in a short timeframe? Put those in bucket 2. Put everything else in bucket 3.

Then, come back here and tell me what your bucket 2 categories are.

Given the timeframe that we're discussing, I do think you need more timed, adaptive practice on quant, but taking a full test every week may not be the most efficient way to accomplish that. You may want to buy GMAC's GMAT Focus product (at mba.com), which is a 24-question, adaptive, quant-only test section. If you get the 3-pack, you can do this 3 times over the next 2 weeks, iterating / learning after each take, then take another full CAT. (And I agree: try V first next time.)

Also, remember that you are still trying to lift V, too—so don't neglect that side of things. When you are getting sick of quant / every few days, do some V instead.

And when you get to the last 7 days, acknowledge that your skills and scoring level are what they are and won't change a ton in that last 7 days. Your goal at that point is just to peak within your current skill level (vs. trying to cram like crazy, tiring yourself out and tanking your performance on test day).

Use this to help make that happen:
http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2016/09/ ... mat-part-1

Let me know on your buckets, etc!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep
JamieE899
Students

by JamieE899 Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:47 pm

StaceyKoprince Wrote:Use this article to help you analyze your CAT in (great) detail:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... ts-part-1/

Prioritize bucket 2. (You'll understand what that means after you read the above.)

Note: For your non-bucket-1 items, do NOT put almost everything in bucket 2 and almost nothing in bucket 3. Think of this as a 2-week timeframe: What things do you want to prioritize first, in the next 2 weeks? What is most likely to pay off in a short timeframe? Put those in bucket 2. Put everything else in bucket 3.

Then, come back here and tell me what your bucket 2 categories are.

Hi Stacey,

Thanks so much for your in-depth analysis and advice and for all the useful resources! It really helped to give me clarity and direction. I will definitely be following the approach you outlined.

I used the above article to analyze my timing yesterday and just completed the buckets analysis. Given that it's based on one CAT, it was somewhat difficult to 'bucket' since there were just 1-2 questions per topic in many cases (mainly on Quant).

My Verbal bucket two categories are:
CR:- I currently have 'Assumption' in bucket 3 since I only got 1/3 correct and took way too long on the one I got right. However, since this is a common question type - I'm thinking if to include it in bucket 2 to prioritize?.
Strengthen
Weaken
Evaluate the Argument

SC:-
Efficiency - Pronouns
Careless - Verbs
Holes-Quantity

RC:- Since only the 3 common question types were covered, I didn't think I could lump 'specific detail' into bucket 3. Would you treat this any differently?
Efficiency - Inference 80% right but a bit too long
Specific Detail - 40% right, too long

My Quant bucket two categories are:
Careless-Exponents & Roots
Careless - Triangles
Careless - Polygons
Efficiency - Lines & Angles
Efficiency - Rates & Work
Holes-Inequalities
Holes-Statistics
Fractions, Percents, Ratios

I've also ended up with a few (perhaps too many?) of the common quant question types in bucket 3 (e.g. divisibility & primes, quadratics) but I kept in mind your 2 week time-frame so let me know your thoughts....thanks! :)
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:08 pm

Good analysis.

On CR, I would prioritize Find the Assumption over Evaluate—but I would do Strengthen / Weaken first. :) Then see whether you still have time to do more in the 2 weeks.

SC looks good.

For RC, I would keep specific detail in the bucket 2 due to frequency. Question: What were the difficulty levels of the ones you got wrong? Could it be the case that you happened to get higher level / harder ones there? If so, then it would make sense that your accuracy would go down, but it may not mean that you are actually worse in that area. (This is where the second test—which will give you more data points—will help to clarify.)

I agree that your quant list is long enough already / for the next 2 weeks. Good for you for keeping some things in bucket 3 even knowing that they're commonly tested. :) Most people will just try to cram everything into bucket 2.

Great work! Now go make it happen! (And check in as you go.)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep
JamieE899
Students

by JamieE899 Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:23 pm

StaceyKoprince Wrote:For RC, I would keep specific detail in the bucket 2 due to frequency. Question: What were the difficulty levels of the ones you got wrong? Could it be the case that you happened to get higher level / harder ones there? If so, then it would make sense that your accuracy would go down, but it may not mean that you are actually worse in that area. (This is where the second test—which will give you more data points—will help to clarify.)

I agree that your quant list is long enough already / for the next 2 weeks. Good for you for keeping some things in bucket 3 even knowing that they're commonly tested. :) Most people will just try to cram everything into bucket 2.

Great work! Now go make it happen! (And check in as you go.)

Thanks for your feedback & encouragement!

To answer your question - the RC Specific Detail questions I got wrong were 2 700-800 and 1 600-700. Since the majority of the questions I got on the verbal were 700-800 level (32/41 - need to improve my CR in this level), I wouldn't say these were necessarily harder. But yes, the 2nd CAT will give me more data to work with :)
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:54 pm

Yep, okay, so more data will clarify that picture. Good luck!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep
JamieE899
Students

by JamieE899 Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi Stacey,

I took my 2nd CAT today - 2 weeks later (under official conditions once again) and scored a 490 :( Although my score improved 40 points, it's still far below my target score. At this point, I won't be able to apply to any of the schools I had in mind.

That being said, here is the breakdown of how things went:

Quant Summary:
Overall Score: 27 (up from 15 on last CAT)
PS 9/22
Avg. Time Correct: 1.36
Avg. Time Incorrect: 2.20
Avg. Diff Correct: 530
Avg. Diff Incorrect: 600

DS 6/15
Avg. Time Correct: 2.21
Avg. Time Incorrect: 1.47
Avg. Diff Correct: 510
Avg. Diff Incorrect: 580

By topic
Geometry 4/6 Avg. Diff 580
Integer Properties 3/7 Avg. Diff 530
Algebra 4/8 Avg. Diff 480
Word Probs 2/9 Avg. Diff 480
FDP 2/7 Avg. Diff 550

Unfortunately, timing was still a major factor/downfall for me in the quant section where I was left to rush through/guess on a large portion (12 or so) remaining questions. In terms of content/difficulty, I felt better about being to answer more of the questions in front of me than last time but was still running out of time. I haven't reviewed all the questions in detail yet but at first glance, I noticed at least 2 or 3 that I made a careless mistake on and would've gotten right otherwise (like really stupid mistakes).

Verbal Summary:
Overall Score 31 - 62 percentile (down from 36 - 81 percentile on last CAT :( )
SC 10/15 (same as last time)
Avg. Time Correct 1.17
Avg. Time Incorrect 1.31
Avg. Dff. Correct 620 (previous 720)
Avg. Diff. Incorrect 650 (previous 750)

CR 6/14 (down from 7/14)
Avg. Time Correct 1.39
Avg. Time Incorrect 210
Avg. Dff. Correct 630 (previous 680)
Avg. Diff. Incorrect 680 (previous 750)

RC 6/12 (down from 8/12 - I purposely decided to skip 2 RC questions by randomly guessing to save time but I think this backfired)
Avg. Time Correct 2.42
Avg. Time Incorrect 1.51
Avg. Dff. Correct 610 (previous 740)
Avg. Diff. Incorrect 670 (previous 730)

I was really disappointed to see my verbal drop as I was hoping to build on the 36 I scored last time. I got 3 more questions wrong than last time but I also noticed the overall difficulty was lower than my last CAT. For example I was given 32 questions in the 700-800 range (across all 3 question types) of which I got 53% correct. This time I was only given 7 questions in this range and zero in SC which is typically one of my stronger areas. Would you be able to shed any light on why this would've happened? I'm a bit confused :?

I'm really struggling with how to improve my timing in both sections (but more so Quant). Since my exam is in 3.5 weeks - should I spend all my study time doing practice/review of questions? There's 2 areas that I've yet to cover in terms of content (co-ordinate geometry & probability) but I'm thinking if to just skip these and focus on practicing questions in the other topics.

Lastly, should I be looking at the reports for the two CAT's combined? And if so, do I analyze it the same way?

Looking forward to any suggestion/feedback you may have.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:11 am

Hello! Starting from the end first: Yes, you can run the reports with the two sets of data together and then analyze in the same way.

Okay, your minimum goal is 650 with an ideal of 700. Your current practice score is 490 and the test is scheduled in 3.5 weeks. That's a very significant lift; it's not likely that you'll be able to get up into your goal range in that given time. Not what you want to hear, I'm sure, but better to face the data and make a realistic decision. Do you want to push to round 3? Push to next year and aim for round 1 or round 2 then?

Talk to some people you trust. Not ones who will tell you what you "should" do or what they would do. Talk to people who will ask you questions to help you figure out for yourself the best path for you. You have a couple of weeks to decide before you have to reschedule your exam (which you can do for just a $50 fee as long as you reschedule it >7 days out).

In the meantime, let's talk about that data. First, you had an awesome improvement on quant—nice work. And you have even more improvement coming, since you had to rush on the last ~12 questions. The GMAT is a "where you end is what you get" test, so your score tanked in those last 12 questions...and then that was your score. Once you fix your timing, you're going to see another nice jump on your Q score.

Go look at the Q questions on which you spent way too much time (>3m). I'm going to make a prediction: You got most of them wrong. Right? So step #1 in fixing your timing is literally just to identify faster / better when you don't know how to do something so that you can guess faster. My guess is that if you could have done that on, say, half to 2/3 of your too-long questions, you'd have had enough time to try all those questions at the end.

Also, note: If you spent more than about 3.5 to 4m to get a single question right...then I'm still going to count that as wrong—because you spend double time to get one question right. Bad return on investment. I'd rather you get that wrong faster and have time to do 2 other questions later on.

Now, go back and try all those questions at the end where you had to guess. How many can you actually do? That's your "cost" for that extra time spent earlier in the section.

So, yes, I'd say that your next push on quant really has to be about timing—which is all about two things:
(1) Efficient process for what you do know how to do, and
(2) Quick guessing when you don't know what to do (and the ability to make the right call / know when this is the case)

Go back and look at the ones that you got right but took too long. How could you do that type of problem more efficiently in future? (Push yourself to figure this out as much as you can—don't just read the solution straight through. Instead, use the solution as a series of hints to help you when you get stuck. Read only as far as you need to in order to get an idea that you can push further.)

Look at any that you got wrong but they were careless mistakes or you're now thinking "Hey, I know how to do that." How? Write out the work again. What did you miss the first time that prevented you from getting this one? What new habits or skills do you need to build to be able to do something like this next time?

And look at the ones that you were never going to get and that still don't make much sense even when you do read the solution. How can you know next time that this thing is just too hard and you should guess a whole lot faster?

(To be clear: yes, absolutely skip coordinate geo and probability for now...and maybe forever! :) )

On verbal, it sounds like you didn't earn those higher-level questions in the first place; that's why there were fewer. You likely missed easier questions at some point and just didn't lift your score as high this time. Go back through the questions to see, but I would expect to see that you missed more lower-level questions than you did last time or maybe you did lift at some point but then had a string of incorrect ones that brought you back down again.

How much of your time did you spend studying Q vs. V (between the two tests)? I see this happen a lot: People concentrate like 80% on one side and then their skills atrophy on the other side. The good news is that you can get that back (and even push further)—you've just got to add more balance to your studies.

Let me know what you think about all of the above.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep
JamieE899
Students

by JamieE899 Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:35 pm

StaceyKoprince Wrote:Okay, your minimum goal is 650 with an ideal of 700. Your current practice score is 490 and the test is scheduled in 3.5 weeks. That's a very significant lift; it's not likely that you'll be able to get up into your goal range in that given time. Not what you want to hear, I'm sure, but better to face the data and make a realistic decision. Do you want to push to round 3? Push to next year and aim for round 1 or round 2 then?

Talk to some people you trust. Not ones who will tell you what you "should" do or what they would do. Talk to people who will ask you questions to help you figure out for yourself the best path for you. You have a couple of weeks to decide before you have to reschedule your exam (which you can do for just a $50 fee as long as you reschedule it >7 days out).

Hi Stacey - thanks again for your insight and tips.

I'll probably stick with the exam date in December (already paid $50 to reschedule from Nov) to give myself a chance under 100% official conditions. I'm also thinking that getting 1 'real' GMAT under my belt can hopefully ease some of the test day anxiety if I have to retake it.

I'm unfortunately unable to push to next year so between the two options - I would probably try for round 3 this year instead; which isn't ideal either as I know many of the schools I'm targeting fill the majority of their spots in rounds 1 and 2 with a small % of admissions coming in round 3. However, I do still have a lot to think about before making a final decision on what do following my exam.

In the meantime, let's talk about that data. First, you had an awesome improvement on quant—nice work. And you have even more improvement coming, since you had to rush on the last ~12 questions. The GMAT is a "where you end is what you get" test, so your score tanked in those last 12 questions...and then that was your score. Once you fix your timing, you're going to see another nice jump on your Q score.

I do have a question with respect to the 'where you end is what you get' point. Is that the case for both quant and verbal or just quant? I've heard/read that on quant you absolutely must finish the section otherwise your score tanks but that on verbal, if you're running out of time at the end, it's better to take your time (not over the allotted time/question of course) to answer the questions in front of you accurately rather than rush through the section as a few missed questions at the end won't drastically hurt your score? Is this accurate or simply one of those GMAT myths? :?

I was running out of time near the end on verbal also (not as bad as on quant) so I'd like to know if I should approach this differently.

On verbal, it sounds like you didn't earn those higher-level questions in the first place; that's why there were fewer. You likely missed easier questions at some point and just didn't lift your score as high this time. Go back through the questions to see, but I would expect to see that you missed more lower-level questions than you did last time or maybe you did lift at some point but then had a string of incorrect ones that brought you back down again.

How much of your time did you spend studying Q vs. V (between the two tests)? I see this happen a lot: People concentrate like 80% on one side and then their skills atrophy on the other side. The good news is that you can get that back (and even push further)—you've just got to add more balance to your studies.

With respect to the difficulty of the questions this time around, I checked the questions again and I got more wrong in the 600-700 range than I did before - but I also got a lot more questions in this range than I did before - 25 compared to 8 last time.

I'm still a bit confused as to how I got zero 700-800 questions in SC when I performed the 'best' in this section (getting the highest % correct in the 600-700 level) but got seven 700-800 qs in CR and RC combined after I missed 9 of the 13 600-700 level qs in these sections.

Is it that the difficulty of the questions do not change within a certain question type (CR, SC etc.) but only within the section as a whole? So if I miss a bunch of lower level questions in CR, the test would lower the difficulty across the other question types as well?

Ideally I would like to get to the 700-800 level in SC and even RC as I did last time but I'm not sure what should my strategy be on the verbal going forward?

I definitely spent most of my time studying quant over the last two weeks. I studied and practiced CR as that's where I scored the lowest last time so will try to find a balance like you said :)
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:56 pm

Agreed that getting a real test experience under your belt can help the next time you go in. That sounds like a good plan!

Both Q and V are scored in the same way. For both sections, you will have to guess on some questions—your only true choice is when / where you guess. Because you are not choosing to guess on harder questions earlier in the section, you're being forced to guess at the end. If you only have do this on a couple of questions, it's not that big of a deal—but if you have to do it on 4+ questions (or 12...), that will hurt your score—the more questions, the more hurt.

Yes, the test does not distinguish among question types—it doesn't say "she's better at SC, so let's give her a harder SC next time." Rather, you answer an SC correctly, so that lifts your scoring range. The next question happens to be a CR...so, boom, you get a harder CR question. That's one reason we say the test rewards generalists over specialists. If you're pretty good across all, you can keep a steady level. If you're really great at some things but really struggle with others—those weaker areas can pull your whole score down so that you don't even get to see the harder questions in your areas of strength.

So, yes, number one is to make sure you have a good balance of Q and V, so that your skills in one area don't atrophy because you're spending too much time in the other. Next, go back over those specific questions you missed in V last time to figure out what the disconnect was. What didn't you know that you need to know next time? What traps did you fall into? How many were careless mistakes? What do you need to do next time not to make those same kinds of mistakes? Etc. In other words, analyze your performance and take study / practice / process steps accordingly.

Tell me those things after you've done the analysis and we'll use that to figure out what and how you should study for verbal. (Note: I am going on sabbatical for a month starting Fri of this week. My colleague Sage will be covering my forum folder while I'm gone—just so you won't be surprised when he starts talking to you. :) )

Also: Since you are going to keep your real test date, you may qualify for a Post-Exam Assessment, depending on what study program you're doing. (Comes with the live course and certain other packages.) This is a phone call with an instructor to figure out what happened on official test day and come up with a plan to re-take the test. If this applies to you, then after you take your real test in Dec, send an email to gmat@manhattanprep.com to request the Post-Exam Assessment. (Or, if you're not sure whether your study program qualifies, send an email to that same address to ask.) If you do qualify for the PEA, definitely take advantage of this service.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep
JamieE899
Students

by JamieE899 Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:17 pm

StaceyKoprince Wrote:Yes, the test does not distinguish among question types—it doesn't say "she's better at SC, so let's give her a harder SC next time." Rather, you answer an SC correctly, so that lifts your scoring range. The next question happens to be a CR...so, boom, you get a harder CR question. That's one reason we say the test rewards generalists over specialists. If you're pretty good across all, you can keep a steady level. If you're really great at some things but really struggle with others—those weaker areas can pull your whole score down so that you don't even get to see the harder questions in your areas of strength.

Hi Stacey - thanks for clarifying that! I had only just suspected that this might be the case after my second CAT so it helps to know for sure.

So, yes, number one is to make sure you have a good balance of Q and V, so that your skills in one area don't atrophy because you're spending too much time in the other. Next, go back over those specific questions you missed in V last time to figure out what the disconnect was. What didn't you know that you need to know next time? What traps did you fall into? How many were careless mistakes? What do you need to do next time not to make those same kinds of mistakes? Etc. In other words, analyze your performance and take study / practice / process steps accordingly.

Tell me those things after you've done the analysis and we'll use that to figure out what and how you should study for verbal. (Note: I am going on sabbatical for a month starting Fri of this week. My colleague Sage will be covering my forum folder while I'm gone—just so you won't be surprised when he starts talking to you. :) )

I'll take another look at those Verbal questions and come back with the analysis. Thanks for the heads up & enjoy your sabbatical! :)
JamieE899
Students

by JamieE899 Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:41 pm

StaceyKoprince Wrote:Next, go back over those specific questions you missed in V last time to figure out what the disconnect was. What didn't you know that you need to know next time?

What traps did you fall into? How many were careless mistakes? What do you need to do next time not to make those same kinds of mistakes? Etc. In other words, analyze your performance and take study / practice / process steps accordingly.

Tell me those things after you've done the analysis and we'll use that to figure out what and how you should study for verbal.

Hi Stacey - so I went back through the Verbal questions from my second CAT and found the following:

What I didn't know that I need to know next time:
SC:
Tenses: was not as clear on the perfect tenses (past perfect, present perfect etc.. (missed 2 questions on this)
Pronouns: didn't recognize that subject & object pronouns cannot refer to possessive nouns (missed 1 question here - I had narrowed the choices down to 2 and chose the wrong one that I could've also eliminated based on this fact)
Active voice vs Passive voice: I learned that the active voice is preferred to the passive voice once grammatically correct (missed 1 question here)

CR & RC - I wasn't sure how to assess these question types here

What traps did I fall into:
CR
Explain a Discrepancy - Vague language trap - "does not add much to cost"
Strengthen - chose an answer that supports a premise but not the conclusion/claim itself
Weaken - 'Except' trap - chose an answer that did weaken the conclusion instead of one that didn't

How many were careless mistakes:
SC - 1 (modifier mistake)
CR - 1 (mixed up the order on a boldface question)

For RC, i missed 3 inference questions and 1 main idea. I got 2 other questions wrong that I chose to guess blindly to save time. Other than doing practice questions, is there anything specific to study/prep for RC?

I also noticed that I missed 5 questions in a row twice during the section (at the start #7-11 and toward the end #29-33). I suspect that this would've negatively affected my score a lot but I'm not really sure how to deal with it...

In the first case, the difficulty was as follows:
1 700-800 q, 3 600-700 qs and 1 500-600 q

In the second case, the difficulty was as follows:
2 700-800 and 3 600-700 qs

Thanks for your help!