Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
HaroonQ688
Course Students

GMAT Math: Absolute vs. Relative

by HaroonQ688 Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:09 pm

Through my GMAT prep thus far for quant problems I have noticed a pattern since the beginning. I am trying to articulate this pattern as best as I can with the goal of understanding what is going on more efficiently (to improve timing and accuracy). I think it will be a good overarching principle/thought process to nail down (if it works) because it governs so many problems and is so common on the GMAT.

I have noticed a lot of situations where we are dealing with corresponding pairs of relative and absolute relationships and we are required to jump back and forth between them in order to arrive at the correct answer. I have seen this "pattern" for PS and DS questions, most commonly for the following topics: mixtures, average weights, integer constraint problems, ratios, FDP/percent change word problems, some combos, 2 or 3 part equations, profit, cost and even distance/work/rate problems.

It appears that for the described situations there are always 2 concepts occurring simultaneously: 1) absolute, defined quantity component or equation (usually addition or subtraction) e.g. part 1 +part 2=whole and 2) relative component, how the components relate to each other (always multiplication or division) e.g. part1=3*part2 OR 1/4part1 + 3/4part2 = 4/4whole.

Now for each situation there always seems to be a "change" occurring to the corresponding pair of absolute and relative relationships, resulting in a NEW corresponding pair of absolute and relative relationships.

So for each situation we have

1) an ORIGINAL corresponding pair of absolute and relative relationships.

2) Some CHANGE occurs either to the absolute and/or relative relationship.

3) We now have a NEW, different corresponding pair of absolute and relative relationships.

If this is true, when faced with a question where this applies I'd like to be able to quickly recognize 1) What is given 2) What is asked and 3) Where the pieces fit in above. I am wondering if anyone else uses this general thought process and if it is advantageous.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: GMAT Math: Absolute vs. Relative

by RonPurewal Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:18 am

without concrete examples, this is way over my head.
can you point to some specific examples, please?

if this is of any use, you should be able to find plenty of examples in the OG. you can't reproduce the problems here, but, you can cite the edition and problem numbers.

thanks.