Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
gmat072014
Forum Guests

GMAT Navigator

by gmat072014 Thu May 29, 2014 11:52 am

Hi

I happen to see this one particular tool called 'GMAT Navigator' on MGMAT store but I quite didn't understand the purpose of this tool, Nor did I understand the usage of it.
What content does it have?How to use it?How will it help in improving my score?The description is really vague.

Does it have all the 900 problems(Quant + Verbal) of OG 13?(I don't care as much about AWA and IR).Is it like a Computer version of OG 13?

What exactly is it?
Please shed some light on this tool.

Thanks

Thanks?
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: GMAT Navigator

by StaceyKoprince Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:51 pm

It is an online tool that allows you to get the most out of the OG problems - but it does not contain the problems themselves (nobody has copyright permission to print or reproduce the problems - you have to buy the real books in order to get the full problem text).

Every question in OG13, OG12, the quant supplement and the verbal supplement has an entry in the system. The tool allows you to track your work (it includes a timer and a place to enter your answers, as well as a way to mark certain problems as guesses or for future review). It includes our own written or video explanations for most of the OG13 problems (all of quant and SC for OG13, about half of CR, and about 1/4 of RC) - explanations that actually tell you the best ways to solve. (That is, not the official explanations, which aren't that helpful.)

The system will also provide you with statistics to track your progress and figure out how to set your priorities (based on both your timing and accuracy when answering the problems). We also assign a difficulty rating to each problem based upon how all of our students do when answering that question, so you can see how easy or hard the problem really is for the student population.

I think I've hit all of the main points - is that all clear? Do you have any questions?
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
ericheidt1123
Course Students

by ericheidt1123 Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:44 am

Hi Stacey,

Regarding the difficulty, I understand that GMAC puts problems in ascending difficulty in the OG books. Is this accurate? Many OG problems with a high number show up in the Navigator as "Easier" or "Moderate".

What is the relationship?

Thanks,
Eric
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:55 pm

We based our ratings on the actual results we're seeing when students do the problems (in aggregate) in Navigator.

Overall, the pool of questions does get harder as the numbers get higher, but some individual questions don't follow the overall trend (at least according to our data).
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep
LakshayG897
Students

by LakshayG897 Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:29 am

Hi Stacey,

Have the recent versions of the Quant and Verbal review not been included in the Navigator?

Please guide.

Best,
Lakshay
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:42 pm

We do not cover the Quant Review and Verbal Review guides (the shorter OG books that cover only Q or only V). We write solutions only for the big / main OG that has both Q and V problems.

This is primarily because we don't put those books high on the list of official products to purchase. The big OG is definitely the best book. After that, we would recommend using the online-only problem sets. Those products (OG + online-only products) add up to more than 1,500 problems already so...that should be enough to study without going to the Q- and V-only books. :)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep