vikram4689
Students

GMAT PREP 2.0 Table Analysis

by vikram4689 Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:19 am

How to solve question no. 2. i do not know what was the adjustment for the month before Mar'2010

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
RonPurewal
Students

Re: GMAT PREP 2.0 Table Analysis

by RonPurewal Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:31 am

take a closer look at the headlines in the table.

for each month listed, the headline is "seasonally adjusted changes from preceding month". so, the column for march -- by itself -- represents seasonally adjusted changes from february to march.
since there is a positive number in that column for march, you know that the quantity was greater in march than in february.
vikram4689
Students

by vikram4689 Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:57 am

I thought statement no. 2 compare seasonally adjusted CPI-U for all items for March and for February i.e.

CPI-U (March-February) and CPI-U (February-January)

I know i am wrong because answers depicts that but don;t you think that language is not clear. Also, any advice on how should i proceed in order to not to fall into such traps.
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:21 am

this is not a trap. this is language comprehension. there is no substitute for practice at reading and interpreting written English..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
vikram4689
Students

by vikram4689 Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:28 am

tim,
if go by literal translation, which i should, of that sentence, it converts to something like - X was higher in march than in february. now that implies that i have to compare X for march and for february. Also, X for march = CPI-U adjustment from Feb-to-Mar & X for feb = CPI-U adjustment from Jan-to-Feb

please tell where i mistook
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:42 am

you didn't read the legend for the chart correctly. the .1 in the chart IS the measure of change between February and March..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
vikram4689
Students

by vikram4689 Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:15 am

you didn't read the legend for the chart correctly. the .1 in the chart IS the measure of change between February and March..

sir,
i read that chart shows measure of change between mar and feb but we need more information. in my last post, quoted below, i tried to explain what i inferred by translating the statement. can you please tell where am i mistaken.

if go by literal translation, which i should, of that sentence, it converts to something like - X was higher in march than in february. now that implies that i have to compare X for march and for february. Also, X for march = CPI-U adjustment from Feb-to-Mar & X for feb = CPI-U adjustment from Jan-to-Feb
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:28 pm

I thought statement no. 2 compare seasonally adjusted CPI-U for all items for March and for February i.e.

CPI-U (March-February) and CPI-U (February-January)

this is the problem here; this sort of statistic doesn't exist.

as described in the passage, the cpi-u represents a price index -- in other words, the average price of some theoretical "bucket" of goods.
such an index can have an average numerical value for a given month.

in any case, this may not be purely a language issue -- there's also a common-sense component. i.e., even if the language is not 100% perfectly clear (to you), it's expected that you will still pick up on the correct meanings of "from previous month" and so on.
also, you can't contradict the problem statement. if the problem statement mentions the cpi-u for the month of march -- as this problem does -- then, well, you've got hard proof that the cpi-u is a statistic that has values for each individual month.