Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
reotokate
Forum Guests

Re: GMAT Prep RC–Prior to 1965 geologists assumed..

by reotokate Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Hi Instructor,

The passage is primarily concerned with

A.evaluating a method used to test a particular scientific hypothesis
B.discussing explanations for an unexpected scientific finding (OA)
C.examining the assumptions underlying a particular experiment
D.questioning the validity of a scientific finding
E.presenting evidence to support a recent scientific hypothesis

I didn't find the "unexpected scientific finding" in Choice B in the article, could you help me? I thought the article talks about a test for the scientific hypothesis that heat friction can be explained by rock composite. There's an argument about the clay and the 2nd paragraph continues to talk about clay.

Thank you!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:10 am

At the beginning:

Prior to 1965 geologists assumed that the two giant rock plates meeting at the San Andreas Fault generate heat through friction as they grind past each other, but in 1965 Henyey found that temperatures in drill holes near the fault were not as elevated as had been expected.

^^ "Not as _____ as expected" is the same as "unexpected". So there's your unexpected finding.

The entire rest of the passage is dedicated to hypotheses and/or research aimed at explaining what Henyey found.
Khush
Forum Guests

by Khush Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:37 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
sheetal_virmani Wrote:there was a huge temperature mismatch between what was thought earlier and what it actually was

you are correct about this ... and, that's actually the reason why (a) is incorrect.

(a) contains the idea that earlier measurements were inaccurate. the passage doesn't mention any earlier measurements at all -- as you've just written here yourself, the earlier temperature estimates were just guesses/hypotheses, based on this idea of friction.

Hi Ron,
Very well explained!

But the more i try to analyze this question,the more i get confused with the information given in choice D vs. the information given in the passage.

D says Henyey suggested that "Geologists had inaccurately assumed that rock plates generate heat through friction".

Passage says :
paragraph 1: the frictional heat so generated was not as elevated as was assumed. Doesn't this mean that it is still true that friction generates at least some heat even if not higher ?

paragraph 2: "Pressure itself, NOT Only the rocks' properties, affects frictional heating."

given the above information, isn't it true that rock plates generate heat through friction?

need help here.
Khush
Forum Guests

by Khush Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:03 am

also would like to know if "unnecessary" can also mean "inappropriate" in American English?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:22 am

RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:25 am

RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:30 am

Khush
Forum Guests

by Khush Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:31 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:Are you forgetting that this a wrong answer? It seems that, for some reason, you're trying to prove this choice correct.

Hi Ron,

i feel there is some confusion here.
i am referring to the below question in which the correct answer is D.

The passage mostly agree that Henley’s findings about temperature in the San Andreas Fault made the greatest contribution in that they
A. revealed an error in previous measurements of temperature in the San Andreas Fault zone
B. indicated the types of clay present in the rocks that form the San Andreas Fault
C. established the superiority of a particular technique for evaluating data concerning friction in the San Andreas Fault
D. suggested that geologists had inaccurately assumed that giant rock plates that meet at the San Andreas Fault generate heat through friction
E. confirmed geologists’ assumptions about the amount of friction generated by common varieties of rocks, such as limestone and granite
Khush
Forum Guests

by Khush Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:17 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
Khush Wrote:also would like to know if "unnecessary" can also mean "inappropriate" in American English?

These are two different ideas.

They would only be similar in very specific contexts"”namely, when it's understood that you need the absolute minimum of something, and that any greater amount (i.e., any unnecessary amount) would be inappropriate.
For instance, if you are trying to drag an injured victim out of a car wreck, then, of course, you want to use as little force as possible (since the person is injured!).
So, in that case, any unnecessary force would also be inappropriate.

But, no, the two words aren't synonyms. Why do you ask?

Thanks Ron!
The reason why i ask this is that one of the RC passages from GMAT Prep software has used this word in a correct answer choice.

Please find the passage in the below MGMAT thread:

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17502&view=next

PFB the question and the correct answer (boldfaced) i am talking about:

According to the passage, Newhouse's view of the social welfare efficiency of nonprofit hospitals differs from Weisbrod's view in that Newhouse

(A) contends that government already provides most of the services that communities need
(B) argues that for-profit hospitals are better at meeting actual community needs than are nonprofit hospitals
(C) argues that nonprofit hospitals are likely to spend more to provide services that the community requires than for-profit hospitals are likely to spend
(D) argues that nonprofit hospitals ought to expand the services they provide to meet the community's demands
(E) believes that the level of care provided by nonprofit hospitals is inappropriate, given the community's requirements

i really don't understand why is this correct as per the context.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Khush Wrote:
RonPurewal Wrote:Are you forgetting that this a wrong answer? It seems that, for some reason, you're trying to prove this choice correct.

Hi Ron,

The passage mostly agree that Henley’s findings about temperature in the San Andreas Fault made the greatest contribution in that they
A. revealed an error in previous measurements of temperature in the San Andreas Fault zone
B. indicated the types of clay present in the rocks that form the San Andreas Fault
C. established the superiority of a particular technique for evaluating data concerning friction in the San Andreas Fault
D. suggested that geologists had inaccurately assumed that giant rock plates that meet at the San Andreas Fault generate heat through friction
E. confirmed geologists’ assumptions about the amount of friction generated by common varieties of rocks, such as limestone and granite

Yeah, see, that's what I get for trying to answer forum posts while sick. Blah. (I've edited/redacted that part of the discussion, for the sake of not confusing future readers.)

As usual, trying to read too many words here is a bad thing. The whole passage is about Henyey's findings, so, to get a sense of their significance, we just need to read the part that introduces them:
Prior to 1965 geologists assumed that the two giant rock plates meeting at the San Andreas Fault generate heat through friction as they grind past each other, but in 1965 Henyey found

That's all we need; this introduction only makes sense if Henyey found something that contradicted that assumption.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:56 pm

Please post your other question on the thread you linked.
Thanks.
Khush
Forum Guests

by Khush Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:37 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
Khush Wrote:

Hi Ron,

Yeah, see, that's what I get for trying to answer forum posts while sick. Blah. (I've edited/redacted that part of the discussion, for the sake of not confusing future readers.)

As usual, trying to read too many words here is a bad thing. The whole passage is about Henyey's findings, so, to get a sense of their significance, we just need to read the part that introduces them:
Prior to 1965 geologists assumed that the two giant rock plates meeting at the San Andreas Fault generate heat through friction as they grind past each other, but in 1965 Henyey found

That's all we need; this introduction only makes sense if Henyey found something that contradicted that assumption.

not a problem Ron!

This answer choice was really confusing, especially when the whole passage does discuss about heat generated through friction. I am still not happy with the official answer. Anyway, as you said, sometimes it is good to read few words to be able to arrive at the correct answer. That's the take away.

Thank you !
Khush
Forum Guests

by Khush Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:37 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:Please post your other question on the thread you linked.
Thanks.

Done!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:55 am

ok.
NaeemH22
Prospective Students

by NaeemH22 Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:21 am

Here is another question for discussion.

The passage suggests which of the following regarding Henyey’s findings about temperature in the San Andreas Fault?

A.Scientists have yet to formulate a definitive explanation for Henyey’s findings.
B.Recent research suggests that Henyey’s explanation for the findings should be modified.
C.Henyey’s findings had to be recalculated in light of Byerlee’s 1992 experiment.
D.Henyey’s findings provided support for an assumption long held by geologists.
E.Scientists have been unable to duplicate Henyey’s findings using more recent experimental methods.

OA is A. Need explanation for A and E.