Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
WenT360
Students

Re: Gmat Prep Verbal Sentence Correction

by WenT360 Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:52 am

Hi Ron,

I noticed some other differences between A and B , wondering whether they are points to split.

A , Whereas lines of competition ……, …… they are……
B, Although the lines of competition……, they are……

the difference between the boldface parts above is “the”, as both sentences have they ,the pronoun, that refers back to the antecedent. For A, they means lines of competition, a broad concept; while for B ,they refers to the lines of competition, exactly the same lines in the more established industry. However, based of the meaning , they are not the same lines , but they are lines of different industry.

Is that works?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:28 pm

for this exam, you will NEVER be required to judge the usage of 'a', 'an', and/or 'the'.

for that reason, it's unwise to discuss that usage at all on this forum, because any such discussion will have negative value (significant distraction).

also, it's strange that you would mention 'the lines...' versus 'lines...'—but not 'the ... industries' versus 'industries...' (in the same two choices!).
of course, the point is that you shouldn't be paying attention to either of these differences... but i just found it interesting that you picked out one, but not the other, even though they're the same kind of difference.
KathyL227
Students

by KathyL227 Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:17 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:i'm confused. is anyone saying the answer is something other than A?

Hi Ron,

The OA is B.

In my understanding, the problem with A lines in "more established industries", which implies more industries, not industries that are more established.
B doesn't have the problem.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:38 pm

you didn't read the thread, hmm.

please go back and read the thread. the problem with that choice is explained in my first post (third from the top).

"more established industries" is not a problem. (it's clear that 'more' is meant to modify 'established'.)
KathyL227
Students

by KathyL227 Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:24 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:you didn't read the thread, hmm.

please go back and read the thread. the problem with that choice is explained in my first post (third from the top).

"more established industries" is not a problem. (it's clear that 'more' is meant to modify 'established'.)

Ron,

I read all the threads there, but didn't find you talk about "more established industries". Only "one day", could you quote that there?

Thanks.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:42 am

you are correct; i didn't talk about "more established industries", because, as i wrote in the previous post...

RonPurewal Wrote:"more established industries" is not a problem. (it's clear that 'more' is meant to modify 'established'.)
CrystalSpringston
Students

by CrystalSpringston Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:24 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:you are correct; i didn't talk about "more established industries", because, as i wrote in the previous post...

RonPurewal Wrote:"more established industries" is not a problem. (it's clear that 'more' is meant to modify 'established'.)

Hi RON,
I'd like to know whether "industries that are more established" is also acceptable in B?
I feel it is less concise than "more established industries"
These similiar constructions always anoy me. Some underly a split, such as the construction mentioned previously "competing companies" and " and "companies that compete". But some are both fine.

Thank you
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:19 am

KathyL227 Wrote:
RonPurewal Wrote:i'm confused. is anyone saying the answer is something other than A?

Hi Ron,

The OA is B.

no, it's not.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:23 am

CrystalSpringston Wrote:I'd like to know whether "industries that are more established" is also acceptable in B?

it's not wrong.
as i mentioned in post #7 on the first page, there is no problem with the beginning of choice B. please read the entire discussion thread.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:23 am

I feel it is less concise than "more established industries"
These similiar constructions always anoy me. Some underly a split, such as the construction mentioned previously "competing companies" and " and "companies that compete". But some are both fine.

okay... but notice that 'slightly more concise vs. slightly less concise' is relevant in NEITHER instance.
if you're thinking about something like that ... you should probably think about something else.

if you notice a BIG, OBVIOUS difference of this kind—i.e., one choice is MUCH more efficiently written than another—then you can probably rely on it.
if the difference is not VERY BIG and VERY OBVIOUS, though, you should simply ignore it unless you need some sort of guessing method.
MaggieW980
Students

by MaggieW980 Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:03 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
CrystalSpringston Wrote:I'd like to know whether "industries that are more established" is also acceptable in B?

it's not wrong.
as i mentioned in post #7 on the first page, there is no problem with the beginning of choice B. please read the entire discussion thread.

Hi, ron!
I read the entire discussion thread.
But I am still confused about " which part of the sentence is modified by 'one day' "?
In my opinion,it modifier neither ‘’compete‘’ (compete one day? sounds weird)nor ‘’ completing companies‘’ (because one day works as a adverb,it can not modify a noun). So,in my view ,‘’one day‘’ modifies may be the partners the next.
for example, one day, Tom will become a successful businessman.

Please help me solve this problem !
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:49 am

the point of the sentence is that companies that compete one day... might be partners the next day.
DO NOT LOOK AT THE CHOICES until you've figured out this meaning.

MaggieW980 Wrote:(compete one day? sounds weird)

^^ if you did not grow up with the english language, you will have no idea what "sounds weird" and what doesn't.
furthermore, this is a test of written language, so "sounds" are irrelevant anyway.

so, this is just random guessing.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:49 am

in my view ,‘’one day‘’ modifies may be the partners the next.

^^ how could "one day" modify something that happens THE NEXT day?

that's like trying to say "Today, I'll go to the store tomorrow."
arpit.garg
Students

by arpit.garg Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:52 pm

In choice 'B', is the "industries that are more established", an incomplete comparison? Do we need industries that are more established than X?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:46 am

arpit.garg Wrote:In choice 'B', is the "industries that are more established", an incomplete comparison? Do we need industries that are more established than X?

^^ no, that's a non-issue. if that were a problem, then ALL of the choices would have the same problem ("more established industries" isn't phrased any more specifically).