If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
mohitk111
Forum Guests

GMAT retake and other profile related queries

by mohitk111 Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:58 pm

Hi Experts ,
I finally gave GMAT and got the official score which is 720 (37 in Verbal and 50 in Quant), 5.0 in AWA and 7.0 in IR. I will be targeting top 20 Schools in America( Top 10 will be even better).

I am from India and I passed out of B.Tech. in 2013 (Civil Engineering) from a top 10 engineering college in India(IITs). I have a CGPA of 8.06/10 (on an absolute scale). Currently am working as a Structural Engineer(I design Bridges).Also i have 85+ percent marks in class 10th and 12th . I have done some social service for Non Profit Organizations. I will be applying next year when i will have 2+ years of experience. No extra curricular activities worth mentions.

I have the following questions:
1) Do i need to retake the GMAT?(I think I under performed in AWA, IR and Verbal and I only studied for 1 month that too just sentence correction guide and OG)
2) What else is missing from my profile that needs to improved?(I have another 1 year before I start applying)
3) Is 2+ years of experience good enough or do I need a minimum of 3-4 years of experience?
4) Will technical background prove to be a hurdle or will it be more helpful?
5)Will a 750+ score be helpful for scholarships?
6)What is my GPA as per american standards as i am seeing a lot of variation for conversion depending on the website?
7)What kind of recommendations will be helpful i.e. IIT Professors, my current Boss or Colleagues?

Thanks,
Mohit
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: GMAT retake and other profile related queries

by mbamissionjenK Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:10 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your post and good for you for planning ahead. The 720 GMAT is at or near the averages at even the top schools in the world, so score-wise you are in pretty good shape and I generally wouldn't suggest a re-take. Though to your point about scholarships, yes I concede that point that say 750 or so would help in that area, IF feasible, and usually with a stellar overall profile.

Your grades do sound strong so that's good. But you would be on the lower-end in terms of work experience, and there are a LOT of similar technical and engineering applicants out there... if there was a way to really develop more leadership skills, inside and out of work, in the coming year or two that could really help. Also you overall 'story' is important -- why you want/need the MBA; what you'll do afterwards; why this school is right for you... so it's important to spend some time researching answers to those q's now to strengthen your apps and essays and interviews.

Good luck on the coming year/s and keep us posted.
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php