Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
ArunV819
Students

GMAT Strategy Help

by ArunV819 Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:07 am

Hi Manhattan Team,

I hope you all are doing good!

I am reaching out to you as I need some help with my GMAT exam as I have appeared twice for the exam but scored 660(recently in April'17) and 620 earlier. My latest break up of score was Q49, V 30 and IR 3.My sub-sections scores are SC-32,CR-31 and RC-28. I need some pointers in achieving my target score of 720 or above.

Kindly provide me some pointers on how to improve further.
Also, I am am Indian Male working in IT consulting for over 9 years. Kindly let me know do I have a chance if i apply in top 40 scores with a GMAT score of 660.

Regards,
Arun
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: GMAT Strategy Help

by StaceyKoprince Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:32 pm

I'm going to take your last question first. Our specialty is the GMAT itself, not the admissions process—and the admissions process takes into account much more than your GMAT score. I recommend talking to some admissions consultants re: that topic. From what I do know, top-10 schools are a stretch with a 660, but you should be okay with some schools in the top 40 (based on the GMAT alone—the rest of your profile will matter too).

You can go onto the school websites and look up their posted statistics—they'll typically say what their average GMAT score is, along with the range of scores from the people accepted into their program (usually, they'll post the "middle 80%" range).

By the way, you do not need to score 720 to go to a top-40 school. So unless you do want to go to a top-10 school, you might be able to lower your goal score.

Next, good job on getting yourself to 660! I know you want an even higher score, but a 660 is a very good score, too. :)

Your quant score is almost at the top—the highest score is 51. There is more room for growth on the verbal side—but that side is also your weaker area. So if you would still like to aim for 720, then I would advise that you continue to study some quant in an effort to try to get yourself to Quant 51 (our Advanced Quant strategy guide might help you with that).

If you can get yourself to Q51, then you would need to lift verbal to about 37, or 7 points higher than your current score of V30. If your quant stays at 49, then verbal would have to be about 39 or 40.

How have you studied so far? What materials have you used? Whatever you have been doing on the quant side, you can probably continue to use a similar process to lift another point or two. On the verbal side, you may need to try something different, as you need to see a larger increase there to hit 720.

If you have been self-studying, you may want to take a class (or go straight to a tutor, since you need only very targeted help on quant). If you have taken a class, you may want to work with a tutor (try to find someone who is especially skilled at teaching verbal—a larger proportion of tutors are great at teaching quant but not as good at teaching verbal).

Let me know how you've been studying so far and we can discuss further!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep